Author Topic: M10 DOME Cylinder NUTS HEX  (Read 4414 times)

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: M10 DOME Cylinder NUTS HEX
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2023, 02:16:30 PM »
"Returned to Dino" Love that quote, so descriptive.

Lots of comments about leakage using fully synth in old machinery, semi less leakage but is it worth the risk? Might as well stay with Dino oil until it's not practical anymore IMO.

Ken,
I am happy to use part synthetic.  That seems OK

Cheers,
CB750 K1 1971 Wisconsin, USA
Suzuki GT550 J 1972 Michigan USA
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CBX1000 A 1980 (European Direct Sales)
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »
That's good new then, saying that the CBX is a lot more modern than the SOHC engines most members have, I wonder if semi is ok in those?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2023, 03:09:24 PM »
It's this one Jerry http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14515.0.html there's some intriguing and very in depth record from Jensen in running his 450 over extended period.

I do think the twins generally are in the same category with regard to oil, yes.

Nigel,

That was a long read and some of the stuff went in, but some went through!

The thread is quite old from 2017.  Just wonder what the outcome was....or did I miss a link.

I do know that when I tried a 10/40 on my CBX many years ago.  I had to drain it fairly quickly as to use someone's quote, it was making a bid for freedom out of every seal/gasket.  Returned to dino and it all dried up.  Some comment on using it with new seals and gaskets only makes sense on rebuild though.

Cheers,

Jerry

I have found fully synthetic very searching on older cars particularly for the rear main crank bearings, luckily my late Mums car was an auto so it did not cause any issues.
Oddly enough the drip would dry up after a few days as the oil additatives in the form of plasticisers would fix it.
Not tried semi on my bikes yet as worried about clutch slip.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2023, 04:06:07 PM »
Ted,

I use semi in my CB360 and CB750 K1 as well and indeed my 2005 CB1300 and that is very new at 18 years old..haha!  No problems yet.  "Semi" is vague prefix on oils.  The actual content is undeclared, on the bottle at least, but might be found on a relevant website.

Currently using "3M" Part Synthetic from Halfords.  JASO and MA2 rated.  Good price, £27.99 for 5 litre bottle.  Ok so far.  CBX is takes over 4l for an oil and filter change, so 5l is useful in that respect.

Cheers,

Jerry
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »
It's this one Jerry http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14515.0.html there's some intriguing and very in depth record from Jensen in running his 450 over extended period.

I do think the twins generally are in the same category with regard to oil, yes.

Nigel,

That was a long read and some of the stuff went in, but some went through!

The thread is quite old from 2017.  Just wonder what the outcome was....or did I miss a link.

I do know that when I tried a 10/40 on my CBX many years ago.  I had to drain it fairly quickly as to use someone's quote, it was making a bid for freedom out of every seal/gasket.  Returned to dino and it all dried up.  Some comment on using it with new seals and gaskets only makes sense on rebuild though.

Cheers,

Jerry

I have found fully synthetic very searching on older cars particularly for the rear main crank bearings, luckily my late Mums car was an auto so it did not cause any issues.
Oddly enough the drip would dry up after a few days as the oil additatives in the form of plasticisers would fix it.
Not tried semi on my bikes yet as worried about clutch slip.

To collect a few things together and take them out of this discussion for practical purposes, I'm specifically referencing camshaft problems in the twins when describing oil type etc

I'd not put the CBX or all of the fours in that category as they seem to be quite comfortable when run on decent oil and that oil kept in good condition. Cam bearings and lobes are quite generous in their proportions for these engine which don't get into that worrying category that you'll often find twins compromised by this specific wear.

I think you're right Jerry in that we could step it into another thread to look at specific circumstances related to the twins and facilitate more open discussion to see if there's more interesting avenues that twin owners could consider.

Offline cbxman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2023, 04:16:07 PM »
Nigel,

Quite right.  Fine by me, maybe another discussion of similar ilk....petrol as well.  It has always been a big variable depending on where you live...

Maybe not?

Cheers,

Jerry
CB360 G5 1975 UK
CB1300 A5, 2005 UK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal