Author Topic: Help needed From "across the pond"  (Read 3617 times)

Offline ffjmoore

• View Profile
Help needed From "across the pond"
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »
Let me introduce my self. My name is jason, and i live in California, USA. I own 3 old honda's. 1 CB750F, a CB550K and a CL125. I am building a cafe racer out of my CB550 and currently have somebody in the UK building a tank for me. They only have a bare cb500 frame to build the tank on. So its hard to know for sure how well the tank will fit. The only way to know the tank will not hit the forks or the coils would be to put it on somebody's bike. So if you live near where they are building my tank ( West Coast of Wales, Penuwch) and would be willing to let them test fit my tank on your bike for a few minutes i would be so grateful. If anybody is willing we can discuss compensation. Here is a picture of the tank so far, i cant wait for them to finish it!
Thanks
Jason

http://www.tabaker.co.uk/

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed From "across the pond"
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
I'm not so far from there (my parents lived there for a while), but my k3 is a pile of bits many of which are awol in a pile of other bikes in bits. I have a fully assembled 500/4 but it's immobile (Behind 15 tonnes of rock)  but accessable if they wanted to test fit it on that. Hopefully a better offer will come up. 500's and 550's are from the point of view of coils and forks / tank interactions basically the same as far as I know.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bubbadel

• She will rise once again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Many moons ago i put a 550k3 tank on my 500/4 with no mods needed at all
'89 FZR400 with slipstream Fzr600 engine
CB750F1 Hybrid needing lots of TLC
FZR600 (dead)

Offline ffjmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:02 PM »
Yes, the frames are the same as far as the tank goes.

Offline lordwhimsey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
That looks brilliant; I want one!

I'm afraid I live across the other side of the country but if there's someone who lives nearby please go and test fit the tank for this nice American gent... and take some photos!

Offline ffjmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:19:31 AM »
No takers... :'(
guess i will just have to rely on measurements given through emails.... :-\

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
Hi, If the maker of the tank can get it to me (I'm mid way between Llanidloes and Machynlleth) then they are welcome to try it on my 500/4. Unfortunately the bike is immoblile in a big way as the shed it's in has it's access blocked by a lot of stone and as it's a sidecar it aint easy to move, also a non runner at preesent. I only have a bike licence anyway so cann't go and fetch a non runner down to the coast. But at only 30 - 35 miles From Aberystwyth the tank maker might be willing to come here (not ideal but if it's any help let me know and I'll pm you contact details)
Cheers
Matt
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:33:24 PM »
I'm afraid I'm a long way from there & my bike is still in bits so I'm not much help, sorry.

Who is making the tank for you? It looks fantastic!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline ffjmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
thanks matthewmosse, ill let him know and see what he says. He told me it would be hard to find somebody to stop by because he is very far from everything. I appreciate the help.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:18:40 PM »
out this end of the world everywhere is a fairly long trip from anywhere. Not helped by the windy roads and holiday traffic etc. Not big milages as such but the roads mean that 30 miles is an hour driving but that makes for great riding territory.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:28 AM »
Any luck finding someone to test fit a tank or are you going to trust to luck and measurement?

Offline ffjmoore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »
nobody test fit the tank. It fit ok but i have had to make a lot of adjustments to get it where i want it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal