SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Floppy rear footrests.

(1/7) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Is there an easy fix for floppy footrest when in the upright position?

Bryanj:
New rubbers sometimes fix it but not always, they are the "springs" that push the big washer down

Oddjob:
Check the pins Ted, sometimes due to lack of grease etc, especially as Honda seemed to have not lubricated any of the pins, like the seat pins for instance, they wear quite badly. Sometimes they elongate the hole, in which case drill out 1/4" and fit 1/4" stainless pins, readily available on Ebay. The rubbers also go rock hard and that means less spring as Bryan says. Check the riders footrests as well, those can slope down when flat, again maybe new pins but if not a blob of weld on the heel can make them sit flat again, nothing worse for me than my feet feeling like they are sliding off the pegs. I seem to recall I also drilled the riders footrest, fitted 3/8" stainless pins as the holes weren't exactly round anymore.

Skoti:
You could fit extra washers, I cut some out from a black plastic oil canister.
Tightens the footrest pegs up a bit and gives a nice smooth action, plus won't wear the paint off the footrest brackets.

Good luck

Skoti

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Oddjob on November 06, 2023, 03:45:19 PM ---Check the pins Ted, sometimes due to lack of grease etc, especially as Honda seemed to have not lubricated any of the pins, like the seat pins for instance, they wear quite badly. Sometimes they elongate the hole, in which case drill out 1/4" and fit 1/4" stainless pins, readily available on Ebay. The rubbers also go rock hard and that means less spring as Bryan says. Check the riders footrests as well, those can slope down when flat, again maybe new pins but if not a blob of weld on the heel can make them sit flat again, nothing worse for me than my feet feeling like they are sliding off the pegs. I seem to recall I also drilled the riders footrest, fitted 3/8" stainless pins as the holes weren't exactly round anymore.

--- End quote ---

The rear rubbers still slide on the newly painted footrests plus new SS Clevis Pins. The front riders footrests are OK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version