SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Speedo dial colour changes

(1/4) > >>

Laverda Dave:
Back in the very distant past, the very late 70's to be exact, I remember seeing a couple new old stock 400/4's in the Speedway of Acton showroom. This must have been 1978 or 79 as I had just started work at Acton Train Overhaul Works and I would wander up to the showroom at lunchtimes.
What made these two bikes different were the speedo's, as well the normal white numbers on a very dark green background they also had a lighter green band indicating KPH. I remember asking how much the bikes were as I knew they had been out of production for a couple of years by then. I knew I couldn't afford one as I was only on £48/week and I had just bought a Bell Moto 111 helmet from the shop for my speedway racing but I asked anyway. They were £900 each and I was told they were unsold stock brought back from Italy (Speedway of Acton was about 1 mile from Honda UK in Power Road, Chiswick so the story could be feasible I guess).
My question is, Were these dual reading speedo's ever fitted to UK 400/4's because I have never seen one in the wild? If they were does anyone know from what frame number they were fitted? My rat bike is August 1977 so is late in the production run although that is the date of registration and not the actual build date of the bike itself (are records kept of actual build dates as they are for old Brit bikes?). The speedo fitted on my resto bike is the 'normal' UK type however I learnt a couple of weeks ago from the PO that he had an off on it and it had a new front mudguard and tacho fitted (and I suspect new forks as well as the lowers do not match the rest of the bike in terms of wear and tear). The replacement tacho appears to be from a G5 or similar as two of the idiot lights are in the tacho face. I'd be interested to know if the speedo has been replaced as well as the PO cannot remember and if the correct one should in fact be a dual reading type?

Nurse Julie:
Do you mean like this Dave?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Laverda Dave:
That's it Julie. Why did I think it was a light green band.............I know, AGE :o

Nurse Julie:

--- Quote from: Laverda Dave on November 10, 2023, 10:21:59 PM ---That's it Julie. Why did I think it was a light green band.............I know, AGE :o

--- End quote ---
Yes, let's blame it on age Dave 😂😂😂😂

Nurse Julie:

--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on November 10, 2023, 10:28:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Laverda Dave on November 10, 2023, 10:21:59 PM ---That's it Julie. Why did I think it was a light green band.............I know, AGE :o

--- End quote ---
Yes, let's blame it on age Dave 😂😂😂😂

--- End quote ---
No, it's not your age Dave as I've also found them in green 😁😁😁

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version