Author Topic: Will a CB500 BUMPER, REAR fit a CB550F2?  (Read 1011 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Re: Will a CB500 BUMPER, REAR fit a CB550F2?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2023, 01:40:55 PM »
Each to his own Delta, personaly i think the grab bar is an abomination purely for pillion passengers to hold onto and i dont do those
Bryan, in all honesty, all my passengers have used it and were able to vary the position of their hands to their liking.
But - wait a minute - now I understand why there is so much talk in this forum about that silly strip (hoop?) halfway the seat. Most of us here in Europe took it of rightaway - as a useless and abundant extra that spoils the looks of the seat, but ofcourse UK passengers depend on it, as... there's nothing else! 
BTW using that strip, good luck finding room for your hands between the two of you.
Not good for handling the bike either. Whenever I had a passenger, my instruction always has been: hold your body as close to my back as possible and move with me, as if we are deeply in love, in a socalled 'uniform movement'. It's exactly there, where the grabrail serves so perfectly as the passenger can more or less press her - often lovely - body to my manly back, assuring our 'unisync movement'. I will not go in further detail, as there may be women and children present, but a good listener only needs half a word...
Where our passengers can react to acceleration and deceleration adequately, your passengers, clinging on that silly strip, will react like a harmonica and possibly slide all over place, with the risk to come dangling to the side of the bike. I hope we can all agree that that does not particularly favour the handling of your bike. Worst scenario is when passenger will come to dangle on the righthand side of your bike where there is - oh horror - not even that minimal grip.
In contrast the position two-up we are used to overhere, is also best for aerodynamics. No turbulence in between the rider's back and the passenger's front like you have, due to the gap caused by the passenger's fists at that strip. Alas, no lovely body warming your back, but only her cold knuckles painfully poking in your loins.
But there's hope for you guys. At CMSNL you can order the 84101-323-671, the beautiful Italian made repro, which is an exact copy, but in much better quality than the OEM. You can then remove that horrible grip you have now, and may use it on the door of your garden shed, garagedoor, barn, whatever. But I cannot blame you, if you don't want to see it anymore and will throw it away as far as possible. Success!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 02:01:06 PM by deltarider »

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2023, 02:32:59 PM »
Delta, you missed my main point I DONT DO PASSENGERS therefore dont need one with its floppy rubber mounted indicators.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2023, 02:39:44 PM »
I think your imagination is going into overdrive there DR.

None of my passengers, male or female has EVER used the seat strap, I often wondered why Honda fitted it in the first place TBH, I think it's more aesthetic than functional, like the rear fins on American cars of the 50s. We used to just ask the female passengers to put their arms around our waist or if you were a fatty grab a hold of some flab  :D

As for the Italian made grab rail, must admit to asking the manufacturers of that part many years ago now to consider making one for the 500, they were making others and I thought it would be within their skill set to make one for the 500/550. They sell them direct on their website for oddly enough more than people like Andy Cepok sell them for. I found their site by accident after searching for the gear selector forks for the 500, which they also make and which I bought a full set of last year. https://www.gbmotosport.it/en/honda.html
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2023, 02:41:16 PM »
Delta, you missed my main point I DONT DO PASSENGERS therefore dont need one with its floppy rubber mounted indicators.

The 500K1 rear indicators are also rubber mounted Bryan, just not as bad as the 550 ones, although the 550 ones stick out more so are easier to see.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2023, 02:54:29 PM »
True Ken but the ones on the grab rails always seem to droop more to me, building for me will be uk spec building to sell will be what i have!

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2023, 08:18:18 AM »
Honda for sure overdid this dampening rubber blocks thing at the rear indicators. Vibrations there - if any - are so minor that I can't imagine it will affect the bulbs life expectancy. I refused to use them and improvised to cut my own of a thin sheet of rubber. Works great and looks better than the original.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal