SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Timing problems on the 450 Bomber

(1/23) > >>

mo goldie:
Hi everyone

Well Just got one of the electronic Ign from the guy`s at Common Motors, i fitted it yesterday all fine till I come to try and Time it in, there are two lights one Blue ( left ) and a ( Green ) Right, on compression stroke and when you come round to the LF and LT marks the blue light is meant to go out when it hit the LF Mark, well it go`s way passed that mark by about 15 mm or more..... yes I have turned the cam plate to advance the timing but it still wont go anywhere near that LF mark.... do anyone know what could be wrong I have Noticed that on the rotor where the marks are that it is stamped CB450 K5 .......... i don`t know what the 1967 CB450 K0 rotor is meant to show on it .....as this is all New to me .... so just wondered if someone has fitted this rotor from a later Model if that is Possible and the marks are in a different place.... but asking you guys as you will know a lot more than I do.

Thanks in advance

MO

mo goldie:
well found one more problem today when I tried to see if I had spark........... and Nope it has NOT  :-\
so went through all my wiring to make sure I had done it right and I had ......... so why No spark ?

all seems to be right :(

as they say always something ha .............anyone got any Ideas ......about it all ? other than it might be the electronic Ign as i have emailed them ( Common Motors.com ) to say but ha ho its there Thanks given ............wondered why I got No reply ha  ;D

AshimotoK0:
The reason it will have a K5 rotor fitted is that the Bomber sprag clutch for the starter motor is notorious for failing with catastrophic results .. like chewed up rollers and the thin round plate which retains them. So its probably been replaced with a K5 , 5-speed rotor . As far as I know the timing marks will be the same as the K0 but need to check this. I think Roy Halliwell on here fitted a 5-speed rotor to his Bomber so he will probably know.

No real idea on the electronic ignition as I have never fitted one to a twin. For the relatively low miles these bikes do these days a lot of people just stick with points. However, not sure if you are going to do loads of miles on it.

mo goldie:
are Ok Thanks Ash well at least that clears somethings up so it is ok then........... but as I say the timing marks don`t line up when you get the piston to TDC so makes me wonder what's going on with that, I have sent Roy a PM two days ago but Not had a reply yet....... so hope he can shed some light on the subject ?

Cheers Mo

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: mo goldie on November 25, 2023, 10:37:57 PM ---are Ok Thanks Ash well at least that clears somethings up so it is ok then........... but as I say the timing marks don`t line up when you get the piston to TDC so makes me wonder what's going on with that, I have sent Roy a PM two days ago but Not had a reply yet....... so hope he can shed some light on the subject ?

Cheers Mo

--- End quote ---

I have a later 5-Speed rotor and an original K0 one to compare Mo but can't get to them until Tuesday to compare.

Count it as a plus point that somebody has fitted a rotor with the later starter clutch as the original K0 version was very problematic and often wrecked the alternator stator coil when it failed catastrophically. Plus a newer rotor may have  have more  magnetism left in it. A lot of original K0 rotors have weak magnets now.  Even a 5-speed rotor in decent nick is a £150-£200 asking price part. Roy and myself got ours from DK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version