Author Topic: My 750F2 project.  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: My 750F2 project.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2024, 07:57:31 AM »
Not a bad tip about the shrink wrap, done similar on the brake return spring but never considered it for those springs.

Zinc plating turned out really dull, you sure it took?

I've done a few of these now and found the holes for the pin had started to elongate, this allows the peg to rattle and ends up making it worse. Due to no doubt Honda not greasing them from the factory and of course we never think to grease them until it's too late.

Same for the tunnel the pin runs through on the peg, I ended up going slightly bigger on the pin size and replacing them with stainless steel pins, washers and split pins.

I think for the 6mm pins (rear pegs) I went with 1/4" and the front pegs with 3/8" but could be wrong, been a while since I did a pair. Also a small blob of weld on the carrier where the peg hits makes them sit straight, nothing worse than pegs hanging crooked IMO.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2024, 02:29:44 PM »
Not a bad tip about the shrink wrap, done similar on the brake return spring but never considered it for those springs.

Zinc plating turned out really dull, you sure it took?

I've done a few of these now and found the holes for the pin had started to elongate, this allows the peg to rattle and ends up making it worse. Due to no doubt Honda not greasing them from the factory and of course we never think to grease them until it's too late.

Same for the tunnel the pin runs through on the peg, I ended up going slightly bigger on the pin size and replacing them with stainless steel pins, washers and split pins.

I think for the 6mm pins (rear pegs) I went with 1/4" and the front pegs with 3/8" but could be wrong, been a while since I did a pair. Also a small blob of weld on the carrier where the peg hits makes them sit straight, nothing worse than pegs hanging crooked IMO.

Between the powder coat and the zinc its a fairly snug fit but if they get loose i may turn some new ones on the lathe.

As for the zinc it has definitely ‘taken’ its for sure not a professional job, but theres good layer of material on the parts i did.  Heres a photo of s bunch of the parts i did. I had not yet buffed all of them. You can see the little hinge pin for the seat and the footpeg plates had been buffed up a bit. Also can see the brake reservoir bracket failed to take the plating in some spots.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 02:33:03 PM by Cb750r »

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2024, 06:30:44 PM »
i'd be happy with that as a home plating job. Looking at the 'before' and 'after' states.

I have got myself a bright zinc plating kit and plan to have a go when it gets a bit warmer, so if I can get that sort of coating I will be pleased enough.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2024, 07:04:02 PM »
Never seen a kit produce such dull results, maybe the fluid was contaminated?

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2024, 01:39:37 AM »
I think the parts were not clean and also maybe the temperature was a bit low. To get bright zinc coating the passivate, electroplate solution and water for rinsing really effect the finish. As does a touch of brightener in the fluid you plate in, the results will be far better and shiney. Ash is yer man but your bits should be as
 shiney as the enclosed…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2024, 01:40:52 AM »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2024, 05:57:55 AM »
From all accounts the zinc/nickel kit gives even brighter and harder results.

As for the missing spots, because of the aeration and the bubbles, if you position a part so that air can become trapped underneath you’ll find the plating doesn’t stick to those parts as the fluid is held away from the metal by the air bubble.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2024, 03:30:16 PM »
1st off this isn’t a kit with instructions. This is a solution of vinegar, epsom salts and sugar I found on a car restoration forum. The Caswell kits are quite expensive in Canada. If someone here has a better recipe I’m all ears.

I don’t have a tank heater and I’m working in a cool space so that could be part of the problem.

I tried plating that piece 3 times. Blasting it cleaning it each time, I also changed the orientation of the part several times.

This is a new process for me,  shiny result would be nicer than a galvanized look but it’s not critical.

Laverdaroo it looks like you actually do some plating would be flat to get some more info on your setup. It’s been interesting getting the ball rolling with some plating and if I could achieve better results with some changes to my setup I’m all ears.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2024, 03:41:39 PM »
I’d recommend you get some aquarium heaters, one for your plating solution, one for your pasivate solution also. Secondly, I didn’t know you were using a home brew kit, I started that way and soon gave up on that, you simply can’t get accurate doses of ingredients so stuffing your results. You can buy 5 litres of plating solution on the inter webs , I’ll have a look later for you and bob some links up, just use that, it’s a constant that really has to be spot on all the time. Small bottle of blue or yellow pasivate and some brightener and your away.

What power source are you using, do you have a controllable bench supply allowing you to change the voltage if required? If not, that could be another reason why your bits come out dull but in all honesty it could be anything in your set up that’s not playing how it should. There’s just a few rules to follow but once it clicks it’s very satisfying and you can save heaps of money.

Drop me a pm if you need some help mate. Not sure where aboots you are in Canada but I’m in the states at the min so happy to chat but it would have to be through wattsapp or similar

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2024, 03:58:13 PM »
I’d recommend you get some aquarium heaters, one for your plating solution, one for your pasivate solution also….

Cheers appreciate the info I’ve sent you a direct message. Now that I’ve tipped my toes in the waters I’m more inclined to get some proper solutions.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2024, 04:50:22 PM »
For a home brew kit that's pretty good. I thought you were using something like the Gateros kit, which TBH most people use on here.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2024, 09:34:35 PM »
Thanks Oddjob, this is for sure a home brew in a cold workspace results.

We can’t buy chromate solutions in Canada, and I doubt I can get those chemicals shipped from the UK.

Pretty much the only kits are from Caswell and they’re expensive. $205 vs your Gateros $67 for the same sized kit.

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2024, 04:54:59 AM »
Shocks re assembled. Springs and upper collar powder coated. The aluminum shock collars are my creations as the old ones had cracked. Fresh paint for the body and ready to go.

These are old Boge shocks. I’m not certain how long they will stay on the bike. I have ideas in the wings for another potential swing arm.

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2024, 05:39:52 AM »
They look well, subtle colours and not the obligatory chrome finish

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2024, 10:31:18 AM »
The problem with repainting shocks is that not matter how careful you are it's never strong enough to withstand the adjusting process, the paint on the top of the lugs gets rubbed off as soon as you move the collars, then sometimes just the collar moving can rub the paint off underneath it, the springs can touch the body when they compress and that rubs paint off, they look great until you use them. Makes me mad as hell, all that work, all that time and they look worse than they did before within a few months, not to mention scratching the paint with the spring compressors, Jesus my blood pressure is going up just thinking about it.

Calming down now, they look really nice, and the collars are really well made. Well done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal