SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

1980 CB250RS Project.

(1/7) > >>

AshimotoK0:
Picked up a 1980 CB250RS Single this week. Always fancied one since I saw the restored one in Classic Mechanics a few years back. Been off the road since 1991 and spent the last few months under a tarp outside. Taken off the road  because it had burned out a valve and done 50k miles. A bit of a change for me as my latest year model bike is a '75 CB400F .. But I had to save it!  ::)

Like most of my bikes I got the silencers before getting the bike and had these made directly by Brituro, rather than from David Silvers.  We literally chucked the bike in the back of my mates van on Thursday and I won't have chance to fully asses it until I go to my mates warehouse (where I do my painting) on Wednesday. Even though the bike comes with a spare head, in unknown condition, I bit the bullet and bought a NOS head with valves inlet rubber etc, plus a NOS cover with the rockers etc. fitted and NOS cylinder barrel. This should hopefully save me a load of grief. I picked up these bits today near Easingwold York and the seller included a surprise freebie pair of wheels and a spare seat. The bike comes with a spare set of wheels (and CDi) but I suspect that these freebie wheels are in better nick and the spokes with replate fine at home. I bought a lovely crank and gearbox/selector parts from DK but the b*ggers have lost one parcel with the gearbox bits in it >:( It is shown as being in transit via DHL but oddly no tracking given. They refuse to discuss this over the phone and will only communicate via eBay messaging. I wanted them to ship everything together but they refused, saying one part may possibly damage the other in transit.

The great thing about this model is that there is hardly any chrome on it and I now feel confident enough to paint it myself in pearl blue original colour. Piki on here is kindly supplying the decals although I am going to paint the stripes myself.

Laverda Dave has been a  fantastic source of help to me on this model and has some spares to trade. Thanks Dave !  If anyone else has decent parts then I will pay a decent price.

I bought a late version of the parts book for £20 in fantastic condition and I hope to scan it sometime and share with others in my Dropbox links. It  covers the early and later e-start models.

Feast yer eyes on these NOS top end parts ... they don't come along every day of the week ! Cost ££££ but it's only money. Pics of the bike to follow but be warned it's not at all pretty  :-[

Laverda Dave:
Congratulations Ash on a very wise purchase. Those NOS parts are gold dust especially the head and rocker cover. Where did you get them, it couldn't have been eBay?
I'm looking forward to reading about the rebuild with plenty of photos👍

philward:
Sounds a great project Ash - good luck

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Laverda Dave on November 26, 2023, 10:01:18 PM ---Congratulations Ash on a very wise purchase. Those NOS parts are gold dust especially the head and rocker cover. Where did you get them, it couldn't have been eBay?
I'm looking forward to reading about the rebuild with plenty of photos👍

--- End quote ---

Facebook Marketplace .. they were amongst a load of other used RS parts as a job lot but other parts sold quickly. Nobody apart from muggins here would offer a decent price for the NOS parts. I just gave him my top figure ..deal or no deal and he accepted. Cos I didn't muck him about,  I think he included the wheels and seat for free ... which was a real bonus.

K2-K6:
Interesting project Ash, and bit of a find to get those nos bits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version