Author Topic: Tippetts 750/4  (Read 1082 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Tippetts 750/4
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 08:14:27 PM »
Lord Litchfield together with his son both purchased new Triumph Daytona 900's in yellow from Daytona Motorcycles in Ruislip back in the late 90's. It was splashed all over the local paper at the time.

Has the CB750 ever surfaced since in was sold at auction Ash or is it locked away in a collection. That is an excessive price though, was it really worth that much or was it hyped up? Auction houses are guilty of hyping things up and inflating prices although obviously a bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay. There was a BSA Rocket Three listed in an auction recently that was owned by James Bond. It had sold previoulsy for big money but since then had been modified with an electric start, it didn't reach anywhere near the reserve this time around.

Interesting I was waling through Settle with my wife a couple of years after the auction and the guy who bought it (called Tony) and his wife came by and we had a chat with them. Basically, he had had a small business (builder possibly) and sold it and bought the bike with  some of the profit (possibly most of it). He told us he owns the house next door to him (only 'modest' houses by all accounts in the NW) and keeps the bike and others he has in it. There was a cock-up at the auction, the auctioneer dropped his hammer accidentally and the telephone bidder thought he had won but the auction continued and a guy in the room put in another bid and won it. He told us that after the auction a Japanese chap offered him another 10k but he declined the offer. The £161k figure was incling fees etc. As far as I know he still owns it and according to DVLA no change of V5 since 2018.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Matt_Harrington

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2023, 09:11:40 AM »
Love the period photos. I've bought a couple of bikes from Tippets (and a few test rides!) in the past and a chum of mine was a mechanic there. Alas, I'm nowhere near them now....
Matt
CD175 - To be restored
Triumph Speed 400

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »
Tippett location just round the corner from me, with the original Honda importers location within about 2 miles from there. Often pass both historic sites travelling locally.

A couple of hundred metres from Tippetts is the John Cooper racing factory, in which the world of single seater racing was changed in direction to rear engined cars.

Jack Brabham also near there, but a couple of miles in opposite direction, the connection too with Colin Sealey managing Brabham F1 team for a while, and building a few Honda engined bikes  :)

Tippetts was always worth a stop and look whenever I passed by. Nigel, Is the old Cooper factory now a Police Traffic Station?

Yes Dave, but think they're moved on now as located near me on Lombard industrial estate in a big compound. Looked like a builder's type business last I want past Coopers.

Offline kevin 755

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2023, 11:41:01 AM »
My 76 K6 originally came from Tippetts still has the original no plate with their name on it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal