SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

CB360 Swing Arm Collar Problem

(1/6) > >>

cbxman:
Hi Folks,

I noticed that there was some weave whilst out riding my CB360, so I checked the play in the rear fork and found some movement.  On inspection the bushes were slightly worn, but the collar was quite pitted.

In an attempt to fix this, I purchased a Tourmax (labeled on the pack as SNB-102) Upgrade Kit from Motorcycle Products, their part number 034064.

The kit is nicely made and uses IKO needle bearings and end bearings where the weather seals would be, but it had no weather seals.  The OEM seals won't fit over the end races that they supply.  I considered modifying the OEM seals so they would fit, but their thickness would add to the already correct dimensions of the kit and would cause binding with the Frame mounts...even if you could get it in the space!

I have requested information from Motorcycle Products, but have yet to receive a sensible response.  There appears to no way of contacting Tourmax directly...

In the photo I sent to Motorcycle Products to explain the situation, you can see the issue.  If by any chance the end bearings are actually waterproof, which I doubt, then the problem goes away.

I have put a "Desperately Seeking" message up for the collar, but not holding out much hope as it is a shared part with other models.

Any ideas out there?

Cheers,

Jerry

Oddjob:
In Tunisia atm and typing on a phone so will need to keep this short. The Tourmax doesn’t need seals due to the way they used a different solution to the problem than Honda

Bryanj:
As Ken said but also grease it very frequently and there will be no problem Honda spcified every 3000 mile, i say every time you go out if you dont ride a lot or every week if you do.
The problem of collar wearing more than bushes is common to all the Hondas

cbxman:

Wow!.  Thank you for the quick responses. OK, so the end bearings which are very smooth operating are in themselves resistant to water ingress?  Are they some sort of PTFE sandwich? The IKO needle bearings and the end thrust bearings look like they are made from Stainless Steel

The CB360 does not have a grease nipple so that would require a complete dismantling of the rear end every time greasing is required.  It's is little wonder that they were common failure point.

Maybe I can fit a grease nipple in the middle somehow.  The two halves of the swing arm pressings wrap around and welded to the tube that makes up the pivot, so I would have to drill on the front side.  I have checked and there is not enough space between the tube and the back of the motor to get a grease gun on.  I would have to drill through the pressing and tube near where they are welded together.  That would place it underneath and more accessible.

Will the end bearings allow grease through I wonder.

I was going to use CVJ moly grease as I have a tub of that.  It is supposed to be resistant to water, so that should help.

Any further comments are welcomed.

Cheers,

Jerry

Bryanj:
Fit a grease nipple like on the 400 OR modify a 500 through bolt to fit that has grease nipples on the end, dont think much would need to be done.
No the end bearings are not waterproof which is why you need to regrease regularly.
Q does the 450 twin have grease nipples on the bolt?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version