Author Topic: I think I've done something wrong!  (Read 1303 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: I think I've done something wrong!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2023, 12:17:50 PM »
That's bad luck Sean - I've generally  ensured that the dowels are on the fixed surface first so they can't drop out. It has meant I have had to replace a few as they chewed up a tad on extraction.

As has been said any unaccounted for big lumps should drop down into the sump - goes without saying to change the oil filter. Have you fitted a magnetic dump plug might be worth it as belt & braces.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2023, 12:36:13 PM »
I can see how the bolt came out if you didn't put locktite on it but I can't fathom out how the dowel got involved in the failure 🤔🤔🤔

Julie, maybe Loctite is something you recommend, but there's no mention of that in the official Honda CB400F shop manual over in Aladdin's cave.
I built a fair few of those Honda engines during my years in the trade and never had fully tightened cam sprocket bolts come loose.

Bit of bad luck for Sean tho, hope he gets it sorted out.
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2023, 01:00:50 PM »
I can see how the bolt came out if you didn't put locktite on it but I can't fathom out how the dowel got involved in the failure 🤔🤔🤔

Julie, maybe Loctite is something you recommend, but there's no mention of that in the official Honda CB400F shop manual over in Aladdin's cave.
I built a fair few of those Honda engines during my years in the trade and never had fully tightened cam sprocket bolts come loose.

Bit of bad luck for Sean tho, hope he gets it sorted out.
Indeed you are correct Scoti but if locktite or similar had been applied, it wouldn't have come undone. It's just belt and braces really. It's like the cap / plate that holds the cam chain guide in place at the top, I would advise using locktite on those 2 bolts as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:03:58 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2023, 03:39:31 PM »
I've never used Loctite on those bolts, so long as they are torqued up they should be fine.

As for the dowel, I tend to locate any dowels in the head rather than in the rocker cover, they shouldn't fall out if they are in the head, as gravity keeps them in place.

TBH I suspect the cam sprocket bolt was never tightened rather than came loose, you tend to fit one but not tighten it, just in case it locks the sprocket out of alignment for the other bolt,  spin the engine until the other comes up so you can fit that and then forget you haven't torqued up the first one and move onto something else, anything can cause this, someone speaks to you, a phone call, just something that breaks your concentration, easily done.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2023, 03:48:26 PM »
TBH I suspect the cam sprocket bolt was never tightened rather than came loose, you tend to fit one but not tighten it, just in case it locks the sprocket out of alignment for the other bolt,  spin the engine until the other comes up so you can fit that and then forget you haven't torqued up the first one and move onto something else, anything can cause this, someone speaks to you, a phone call, just something that breaks your concentration, easily done.
Which is why I prefer to work on my own...
And I adapted the Japanese way: Edding 8750 industrial paint marker...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2023, 04:14:55 PM »
So that's why I have yellow dots on my engine bolts to remind me they have been torqued up!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 04:48:55 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2023, 04:44:36 PM »
Yellow paint was used by Honda on the production line for that very reason Ted, it also showed if the owner tampered with the bolts in case of warranty claims.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2024, 10:56:40 AM »
Using a magnet, I was able to fish out a couple of additional bits.

Then I turned the motor over slowly - yes Ted, the plugs were out - and all seemed fine.

So now it will have to sit for a while until I get back to Belfast, when amongst the other things, I'll drop the sump, check the strainer and change the filter.

Until then ...
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2024, 04:50:15 PM »
That's bad luck Sean - I've generally  ensured that the dowels are on the fixed surface first so they can't drop out. It has meant I have had to replace a few as they chewed up a tad on extraction.

As has been said any unaccounted for big lumps should drop down into the sump - goes without saying to change the oil filter. Have you fitted a magnetic sump plug might be worth it as belt & braces.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal