SOHC.co.uk Forums > SOHC Singles & Twins

Spoke advice please.

(1/2) > >>

Arch stanton:
Hello.
I have a very nice CB175 K6. Built using about 80% nos parts.
The wheels are original. I polished the spokes about 10 years ago. But a few are now showing rust. Even though it lives as an ornament in my living room.
So I ask. Should I just replace the rusted spokes, have all the spokes re, plated, replace with new zinc spokes or stainless.
Thank in advance.

DomP:
On my xs650b I just ordered new stainless spokes from Central Wheel Components, they got my first order wrong but soon corrected it meaning I got to re-lace my wheels twice but a good learning curve

Nurse Julie:
Stainless spokes from CWC are always a safe bet.

Johnwebley:
I have stainless on both the 500 and 200

Perfect for keeping clean and shiny

From Central wheel

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

MCTID:
It's worth changing to stainless. Old spokes can lose their integrity over the years and can suffer damage (or breakage in the threaded section) when they are undone and re-tightened. For the relatively low cost of new S/S and peace of mind, I'd just change them.

A wheelbuilder (if you choose to use one) might not be happy to re-use the old spokes.....and they might not guarantee the work if any reused old spokes break later.

I have had two sets of wheels rebuilt and the wheelbuilder (Alan Atkinson at Southport Wheelbuilders) suggested new S/S spokes while he was at it....and I have to agree that was the right decision.

Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version