Author Topic: UK CB500 for sale.  (Read 1648 times)

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: UK CB500 for sale.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 06:33:47 AM »
I did this by mistake when the wheel was off the bike. It allows the wheel to slop on the spindle so it would be bouncing between the brake pads. If you don’t note the orientation before disassembly it looks more logical to to have the nut end outboard. Thankfully advice on here put me right.
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 07:12:14 AM »
I still maintain it's possibly a 550F spindle

Look at this blow up .. you can see the tommy bar hole inside the hollow end  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 03:59:56 PM »
According to the CMS parts book Ash the 500 and the 550 both use the 750 front spindle, 300 middle part number.

For a minute there I was thinking you were saying the 500 was a solid bar with the 550 being hollow, couldn't remember if that was true or not so looked it up.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2024, 04:06:03 PM »
According to the CMS parts book Ash the 500 and the 550 both use the 750 front spindle, 300 middle part number.

For a minute there I was thinking you were saying the 500 was a solid bar with the 550 being hollow, couldn't remember if that was true or not so looked it up.

This is according to 550F2 parts book you provided for me to scan Ken.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 04:10:20 PM »
Yeah, I looked at the F1 book Ash, TBH I didn't expect the F2 to be different but it clearly is.

You could be right as the F2 spindle should be the same as the K3 spindle and that has that odd looking end on it. Still fitted wrong though and needs to be corrected asap.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2024, 04:15:46 PM »
Yeah, I looked at the F1 book Ash, TBH I didn't expect the F2 to be different but it clearly is.

You could be right as the F2 spindle should be the same as the K3 spindle and that has that odd looking end on it. Still fitted wrong though and needs to be corrected asap.

Surprisingly the 550K3 Part book you kindly sent me to scan lists the 300 part Ken. I think it was like that with 400F2s ... some had the original 369 part with solid spindle but some had the
hollowed out one from the late G5/CJ. Similarly with the 400F2 rear axle ... some had round end with a tommy bar hole ... some has hex end.

According to Parts Book that spindle (although later type) is fitted the correct way round .. so I don't see a problem.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:18:28 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 04:39:06 PM »
No it's not the spindle being fitted wrong Ash, it's the nut on the end, it's back to front, the nut part fits inside the fork slider and he's got it to the outside, that means the spindle becomes too long and hence why it's sticking out of the O/S fork slider.

Part 18 in your pic, nut on the inside, if you look at a pic of the bike from the nearside you can see the nut on the outside and a close up shows the spindle is very deep inside when it should sit almost flush with the nut.

Odd about the K3, it shares loads of parts with the F2, you'd think if they changed the F2 part they'd also change the K3 one as well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:41:03 PM by Oddjob »

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2024, 04:45:31 PM »
Just to clarify, we are talking about the black 500 not the gold one. A look at the gold one, from the nearside, shows that if fitted correctly the spindle actually extends just outside of the flange on the nut.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2024, 07:22:43 PM »
Just to clarify, we are talking about the black 500 not the gold one. A look at the gold one, from the nearside, shows that if fitted correctly the spindle actually extends just outside of the flange on the nut.

I was talking about the nice gold one Ken

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2024, 08:53:04 PM »
Ahhh, that would explain it. The OP said spot the fault and then said the black one had a front spindle which protruded.

Gold one, spindle fitted correctly, look how the end of the spindle protrudes. Nut part on the inside.

Black one, spindle right down inside the nut and the nut part on the outside.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:09:39 PM by Oddjob »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal