Other Stuff > Tricks & Tips

Threading switch gear cable through handlebars

(1/2) > >>

davidcumbria:
Hi posting this here rather than in my cb550k1 thread as applies to several models. I have to remove and replace my right switchgear so unplug everything and bars off. Getting the old cable out and new one in seems tricky. Would be grateful to hear of tips and tricks for doing this. String or wire and best type as a pull through lead ? Best method/ place to secure it ? Silicon spray as best lubricant ? Any other tips ?

Multiman:
I used heavy duty strimmer line taped to the wires. No lubricant just make the join as smooth as possible. Easier than it appears at least it was on my 400/4

K2-K6:
Bicycle gear cable (very thin Bowden with small barrel nipple) secured within the loom plug area with electrician tape will lead it through.

Silicone spray, agree with that to help it.

AshimotoK0:
Talcum powder

Oddjob:
I use the copper core of some 2.5mm T&E cable, just strip off the insulation or use the earth part of the wire. A little hook in the end and you can slide it inside the back of one of the bullet connectors. I tape up the rest of the bullets etc to reduce them twisting around and jamming inside the bars. Some silicon oil doesn't hurt to get them all to slide easier as well. If it jams don't tug, just pull it back and try again. As you're fitting a new switch the wiring cover will be pristine but most are split etc and they have a tendency to grab, which always makes me wonder what are they grabbing onto, it's inside a tube for gods sake. If the covering is split either replace with new or tape up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version