Author Topic: CMS selling pattern parts as genuine  (Read 2025 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CMS selling pattern parts as genuine
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2024, 02:54:00 PM »
As suspected here is the CMS response.

We have check all remaining piston ring set that we have on stock.
All of them are in the RIKEN packaging. I contacted our product manager regarding this case. He informed me that RIKEN is OEM supplier for some of the Honda piston rings. These rings were released with either Honda packaging or RIKEN packaging.  The quality is 100% the same in both cases and it is not cheaper reproduction item.

They have offered to take them back, any ideas?

Depends on the price Ken as they will be exactly the same quality as Honda OEM IMHO. You are against a brick wall with these people .. Yamiya are worse and spit their dummy out if you dare to question anything they sell. I once bought some carb top rubbers from Yamiya for RJP750 on here and questioned that they were not correct for a K0, so they cancelled a 500 quid order with dozens of items on it  rather than remove them from the order that included them with no explanation.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:57:24 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 02:54:38 PM »
TBH even buying new rings in a Honda packet is not going to be the identical steel mix used originally unless it's NOS from the period.

My understanding of OEM by the original manufacturer is that it's as close as you will ever get today.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2024, 04:07:10 PM »
I still don't get what the problem is. If I'd order exhausts valves and would receive them in Mitsubishi packaging, I would not worry about anything. Mitsubishi was also a subcontractor and their valves are in about every combustion engine.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 08:05:13 PM »
Might as well give them a try and see how they perform.
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 02:05:33 PM »
I've decided to keep the rings, however I'm not happy with CMS. Genuine means genuine, not OEM, even DS makes the distinction and his prices reflect that fact.

I have however warned CMS that I'll be bringing the matter to Honda UKs attention, Honda are quite aggressive at defending their brand name, anyone selling parts as genuine when they aren't, even if they are from the same manufacturer (and TBH we only have that information from CMS, although it may well be true but only Honda know for sure) they are not genuine Honda parts and I feel the price they are charging should reflect that.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 07:17:43 AM »
I've decided to keep the rings, however I'm not happy with CMS. Genuine means genuine, not OEM, even DS makes the distinction and his prices reflect that fact.

I have however warned CMS that I'll be bringing the matter to Honda UKs attention, Honda are quite aggressive at defending their brand name, anyone selling parts as genuine when they aren't, even if they are from the same manufacturer (and TBH we only have that information from CMS, although it may well be true but only Honda know for sure) they are not genuine Honda parts and I feel the price they are charging should reflect that.

Well said, I absolutely agree wholeheartedly with that.
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2024, 04:06:38 PM »
Well after a very lengthy phone call with Honda UK I can confirm they will be taking this matter up with CMS, they are asking for photos of the rings, copies of the emails etc and have said they'll be passing the matter onto to Honda head Office to keep them advised of the situation.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2024, 04:56:58 PM »
Good on you Ken many would not bother.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2024, 05:25:12 PM »
TBH Ted if they'd said oh we made a mistake, we'll let you have them for half price I'd have been happier.

As it turns out I doubt I'll be using them for a long while, managed to source 5 sets of standard 550 rings to go with my new set of barrels, measured them today with a bore gauge and they look to be almost perfect with very little wear. They all measured 58.5mm which is the standard bore size. When the new rings arrive I'll pop a ring down and see what the end gap looks like.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal