SOHC.co.uk Forums > Anorak's Corner

Tyre Changing Jigs

<< < (3/5) > >>

ST1100:
The Rabaconda set is praised by touring riders...

https://de.rabaconda.com/products/street-bike-tire-changer

dunno if it works well with spoke wheels though...

(got me a pneumatic tire machine + the adapters for MC wheels... 2x ST1100, 1x NT700, 1x ER-5 + the rides of a befriended couple ST1300, NC750, a 70ies Z750, and the Burgman of the "in-law" dad... but I'll have to see how well it'll work with the CB500/4 wheels in the future...)

Spitfire:
After pinching a tube years ago I resorted to using my heels to put tyres on and it worked fine, dancing around the wheel, or using my hands with an old fashioned round bin as a stand.
However last year putting new tyres on my 750 I failed, the back tyre was fine but I had to take my front wheel to a bike shop I just could not do it anymore.
Time catches up with us all.

Cheers

Dennis

Bryanj:
It aint catching up mate its galloping past, i did 2 sets of 500 wheels in a day 2 years ago, never again

K2-K6:

--- Quote from: Lobo on January 12, 2024, 11:34:21 AM ---Just out of curiosity Nigel, what’s the largest tyre you’d tackle given you make it sound so easy? I seem to remember (just) managing my 400F, but would baulk at the rear wheel of a ‘750.

Maybe the fault was my penchant for Johnson’s Baby Talc versus silicon grease…?

--- End quote ---

All sizes, though I've owned only up to 180x17 largest rear size. I too found it particularly difficult prior to lucid instruction all those years ago, but with that and logical approach, it's not so much a problem task.

It's not for everyone certainly. It is though, emphatically, mind (and technique) over muscle to work around them. The lubrication of back side of beed, particularly on final face of fitment really makes a difference. 
A bike wheel you need to support the rim/spokes such that it doesn't touch the surface below with the tyre wall already fitted, this helps with space to work the front side as you go round with it moving the fitted wall away from work site. the bespoke rigs do this also.
If you wanted to make simple implement, then four 4X2 blocks fixed to a sheet of ply in a circle orientation would do it. Put first side on by hand with tyre standing up, then lay wheel down on blocks, start the beed on by hand then kneel on that part at approx 7 and 5 o'clock position to hold the beed down into wheel well. This is the most important bit, that placement of the beed you're working on fully into the wheel well as it gives all the clearance needed to get the opposite side of beed over by working with reasonable leverage......remember that backside beed lubricant ? This it where it really matters. They usually go on with ease now.
If you make the plywood jig, it has the big advantage of staying still with you and or any helper standing on it to not chase the whole lot around a room, or garden  :)

Laverda Dave:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on January 12, 2024, 04:11:16 PM ---It aint catching up mate its galloping past, i did 2 sets of 500 wheels in a day 2 years ago, never again

--- End quote ---

TWO sets of wheels in ONE day :o!!!  If tyre changing becomes an Olympic sport Bryan you need to enter, you'd win gold 🥇

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version