Author Topic: Tyre Changing Jigs  (Read 1178 times)

Online DomP

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre Changing Jigs
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 06:28:53 PM »
I managed my xs650 tyres with rim protectors and just two tyre levers, easy? No but very much doable when you work out a technique and lube up
1975 XS650B
1976 CB550F1 current project
2012 Triumph Daytona 675

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 08:06:11 PM »

I must be doing Ok then as I still do my own and carry a pair of levers under the seat in case of punctures.

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Online ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2024, 09:53:21 AM »
Queenies had one similar to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303896564509?chn=ps&_ul=GB&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1_uBhNKaBTL-Wbt8h7etiSA98&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=303896564509&targetid=1816181027979&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006886&poi=&campaignid=19090194174&mkgroupid=147009364227&rlsatarget=pla-1816181027979&abcId=9303860&merchantid=119137374&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOZndLhHvd0aSPPeBe4WwaQAX7YBDkbrjqVTsLRYrYQDAwkZFZV4rxxoCRHEQAvD_BwE

It's bloody expensive but you could do multiple changes in the same day, no effort at all. It also didn't tend to damage rims unless you were clumsy.
Mine has a round table (Zipper ZI-RMM95) so it won't bang your thighs while working...
At € 950,- incl shipment I just couldn't resist... bike-wheel adapters make the job a breeze...
Sure, if you've only one ride to look after, you'd go to a dealer for the (maybe?) annual tire replacement...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2024, 10:15:01 AM »
Associated information, but it's the same method really.

https://youtu.be/b8IiRrgdEZg?si=NROvKn3UFYdqI0AJ

He's using window cleaner, but the silicone method works better and doesn't put any detergent salts onto your rims.

Recently I've fitted car tyre, had a leaking rim from beed corrosion on old car, wanted to remove, refinish rim and refit original tyre prior to having the whole set changed (car doesn't have a spare) so made improvised beed breaker, demounted tyre, sorted rim and refitted....marked in reference to balance....to let me then get the whole set done when arranged.
Only thing I'd say is that it's easier with two of you at that final fit to hold beed into well while pushing the last bit over on opposite side. Same for bikes in tbat respect. Almost embarrassing in it's requirement for lack of force by using silicone grease.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2024, 11:31:51 AM »
Associated information, but it's the same method really.

https://youtu.be/b8IiRrgdEZg?si=NROvKn3UFYdqI0AJ

He's using window cleaner, but the silicone method works better and doesn't put any detergent salts onto your rims.

Recently I've fitted car tyre, had a leaking rim from beed corrosion on old car, wanted to remove, refinish rim and refit original tyre prior to having the whole set changed (car doesn't have a spare) so made improvised beed breaker, demounted tyre, sorted rim and refitted....marked in reference to balance....to let me then get the whole set done when arranged.
Only thing I'd say is that it's easier with two of you at that final fit to hold beed into well while pushing the last bit over on opposite side. Same for bikes in tbat respect. Almost embarrassing in it's requirement for lack of force by using silicone grease.

Any tips for getting two new tyres fitted to alloy rims (CB250RS) without  damaging the rims Nigel?
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2024, 12:45:58 PM »
Initially the silicone on inside and outside of beed as prerequisite.

Stand tyre in front of you, orientation as if you were riding the bike, left hand on left beed at top. Now sit wheel into bottom of tyre from right and push down to get the bottom of beed situated into wheel well fully, then continue pulling the left beed over the top of wheel rim, remember hold the wheel downward to keep that beed in place in the well.

Just try this first to gauge effort.

Then lay wheel down onto support blocks such that it doesn't rock on its centre and gives space for the already installed sidewall to flex over that lower rim to give you more working space for the side you are going to work on to easily go into wheel well. Support the rim not the tyre in other words.
Push the first part onto rim nearest to you so it drops into wheel well, just kneeling on it at 7 and 5 o'clock will usually push it in there. Your knees are now going to stay there to keep that section always dropped into wheel well.

If you had big ben  :) there, he could probably walk the rest round with his feet, like in tbat video.

Failing that and with levers, I use about 8 inch long 2 inch with flat with round end and make sure they have no burrs on end, along with those channel shape plastic rim protectors.
Work the 5 o'clock side round to about 2 o'clock, it'll likely go with just hands here, slide a rim protector round to it and put a lever in place about 2 o'clock to now stop this backing out what you've just put in. That silicone is slippery  :) ideally you need another hand person just to hold this, but can be done with right knee.possibly.

Now you need to start working from the 7 o'clock location, slide a lever and rim protector as far round as it'll go, you're just trying to nibble the smallest section of tyre possible as it'll go over real easy then, hold that lever once that arc is complete and do the same again with another one.
When it gets to about 10 o'clock you'll feel it holding the beed under your knees further down into the well, by 11 o'clock it'll be wanting to go over centre and stay on rim  usually a push with palm of hand at 12 o'clock will just encourage it to pop of rim. Or that third hand person put their foot on it go get it to go.

Sounds far more involved within worded description than reality.  It really should use very litte force though, much more choreography if my description is able to be followed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal