SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

My 1975 CB400F restoration project

<< < (3/14) > >>

Oddjob:
Why Honda thought it was a good idea to paint the upper but not the lower crankcase is beyond me, looks awful imo. Didn’t do it on the 750 or 500/550 models, not even sure they did it on the 350.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I know it's not original on these Honda Models but I do like black engines always thought they would keep cool better in black.

Laverda Dave:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on January 31, 2024, 08:09:47 AM ---I know it's not original on these Honda Models but I do like black engines always thought they would keep cool better in black.
[/quote

Excellent job going on there. I agree with Ken though, why did Honda leave the lower crankcase bare, just crazy. I've decided to get my cases fully painted for practical reasons.

I wish I could travel back in time time Ted and meet up again with the guy who was busy with his sand gun blasting my mates 400 engine before painting it black. 'You'll damage the internal parts of the engine using a sand gun and not covering the ports' I said. I thought to myself how I would pity the poor sap who would buy that bike at a later date and suffer the carnage caused by the stray sand within. How I laughed when 42 years later I bought that very same bike and guess what was inside it :(. I dont think there is much left of the original innards, complete gearshafts, big ends, mains, valves, guides, chains, tensioner, pistons, rings, clutch, cush drive all binned so far. Mostly as a result of the engine being painted black! I've got say a big thank you to you though Ted for having the complete gearshafts and the NOS Honda piston kit :)
--- End quote ---

ozzybud:
I absolutely agree about the blasting. I only media blast parts/pieces that am 100% sure i can get all the media out.It would not be wise to blast the case halves there are too many nooks and crannies for media to hide.

ozzybud:

--- Quote from: Oddjob on January 31, 2024, 06:05:02 AM ---Why Honda thought it was a good idea to paint the upper but not the lower crankcase is beyond me, looks awful imo. Didn’t do it on the 750 or 500/550 models, not even sure they did it on the 350.

--- End quote ---

On some earlier Honda models Both case halves were left bare aluminum. This is true on my 1200 mile unrestored 1973 CL200. since the finish does not affect operation , Might be as the 70's progressed the customers were more concerned with aesthetics?
My passion is to restore bikes as close to the way the factory produced it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It might not look Pretty but it looks correct! And that is what i am aiming towards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version