Author Topic: Replacement tyres  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement tyres
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 10:23:25 AM »
3000 miles is pretty bad, mileage wise.

My Michelin Road Pilot 3 rear lasted 9000 on the 1300, the 4 got just over that, the 5 got even more, the 6 looks to be even better, you’d expect a lighter bike to do better than those figures. I wonder if the roads in your country are more abrasive than the UK?
Kids in a the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2024, 03:19:31 PM »
Last summer I done the NC500 via Harris and Lewis equipped with new Pilot Road 5's on my old Beemer, over 3000 miles round trip and they seemed about half worn after that. So pleased with them.

The roads over here seem mostly better than yours, but the difference is it doesn't piss down with rain much during the summer so that unfortunately increases road surface friction and tyre wear a bit.

Back in the seventies I managed to scrub a TT100 away in 1800 miles on a new Commando, crazy times...

Anyhow your tyre mileages on a CB1300 seem remarkable, keep up the good work.
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2024, 04:34:36 PM »
I managed to knacker a set of pilot road 5’s in about 6000 miles on the continent and totally agree about more abrasive roads. Scotlands roads that I’ve been on were all super grippy too with granolithic clippings as a surface in some places  so silly grippy. Like the stuff you get in braking areas in front of lights, coming into villages etc.

Also when you’re loaded up touring, it’s extra wear. I’d assume than hooning about one up with a smile on your face……….maybe

I’ve had all the pilot range and on my second pair of 6’s which are incredible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline Nashfly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2024, 12:28:54 PM »
The amount of miles these classics seem to do these days I doubt the longevity of the tyres is a problem, they'll be cracking with age before they are worn out in most cases.

Aye,
I think that's probably relevant to most folk on this forum, but I still manage around 3000 miles a year and so offer my comments from experience.

Yes but what you failed to say is how long they last, 4000, 6000, 9000, 12000? I can get 12K out of a rear tyre on a 1300 and that's a bloody heavy lump and that's not toddling around either. Even my worst rear tyre a Dunlop lasted 6K, most of these classics won't do that in 5 years.

Personally I don't mind trading off wear for grip, I look at it as if it saves just one off it's paid for itself

Yes,
Sorry about that.
Got 3000 miles from a Roadrider rear and 5000 from a Bridgestone BT45.
Michelin Road Classics have done around 4500 miles so far and still looking good.

Once had 10,000 miles from a rear Michelin Pilot Road on my BMW R1150RT, but that was riding about like a very old grandad. Normally last maybe about 7000 miles.

Hope that helps.

Skoti

Not sure if this helps on this thread or not, but on my 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT (only about 30 bhp) the Avon Road riders have done nearly 7,000 miles and still have plenty of life in them

Offline Multiman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2024, 01:25:51 PM »
I've put 3000 miles on my Dunlop K82s last year and you wouldn't know to look at them, but they're on a 400/4 so not that heavy, not very powerful and I don't wear trousers with knee sliders. Yet.
Got lots of friends with classic bikes on Roadriders who are very happy with them.

Avon Tyres produced their last tyre in the UK Melksham factory in December.
Production of bike tyres will continue in France at the same factory that makes Dunlops, both being owned by Goodyear.
More info https://www.speedweek.com/amp/katalog/news/206278/Avon-Zusammenlegung-mit-Dunlop-in-Frankreich.html?lang=en#

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal