SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

LED lights

<< < (2/13) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: taysidedragon on January 20, 2024, 03:27:40 PM ---Ted, I think you're referring to early LED bulbs, or cheap jobs. If you look at Paul Goff's website you'll see that the bulbs he sells now have the led's positioned in the same position as the original filaments, so the main and dip beams work as designed. 👍

--- End quote ---

A typical tungsten fillament is what less half a mm  in diameter so no LED lamp can get close to that in terms of being a point of light for focus. Most LED replacement bulbs are made to fit a wide range of headlamp units so they must compromise somewhere I would have though. That said there has been a great improvement in dip design as you say - an LED replacement for a specific make of reflector & lenz might be what Paul Goff is selling I'm not familiar with his products or used them. Might be we need an update on Kens original tests.

I've just gone for a complete LED headlamp unit as originality in that area is not a concern for me.

Pauarc:
So would it be better to change the complete unit any suggestions on a unit

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
If your headlamp unit is the same diameter as a 500 one then the one I used was was recommended to me by member  here Allenkelly1.
Certainly in no way original looking - gives a good light pattern - I bought the Osram LED version. There are standard & higher powered versions on e-bay. It was a straight fit into the DS 500 rim kit. Mine was replaced due to cosmetic damage and rust to the original.
It's sold as a Land Rover unit for the old Defender model with standard 7" headlights, mine was similar to this link but was marked as Osram & has the right lenz markings.
.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303960372602

Pauarc:
Hi Ted

Did you fit it into the head light backing looks like same size (have you a picture of what it looks like) Paul

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
On my 500.
I did not connect the indicator unit that is buit in - the Angel eyes sidelamp can be used as a DTRL if you do some creative wiring. It leaves a lot of handy spare space in the headlamo bowl.
.first mock up by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

On my 400 that I fitted with a 500 headlamp bowl.

.400 lamp change by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

This is the sidelamp/DTRO at night on my 500.
.500 Angel Eye by Macabe Thiele, on Flickr

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version