Author Topic: CB 400F Tank and side panels  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: CB 400F Tank and side panels
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2024, 01:02:52 PM »
They were lovely cars and especially in that colour scheme. I remember them being nicknamed 'The flying Milk Float' as a result of the long, flat rear engine cover.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2024, 03:31:29 PM »
There used to be a Lotus Twin Cam Europa Special in BoT circa 1972/3 in those JPS colours it really suited the odd rear end shape.
I still have e a toy Europa but it's blue...I think it says 'from the TV series The Man from Uncle' underneath.
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 04:35:44 PM »
Ted, that's a lovely looking Europa - FAT Hull reg too!  Don't remember the car though - wonder if Ash does? 
I sold mine Moorey to a chap in our Jag and VJMC clubs - he still has it too.  I then got a GB500TT in that Burgundy colour.  I still think the 400 was better than the 500.  With the kickstart operated decompression system, my party trick was starting the 500 by hand on the kickstart - try doing that with a 500 Goldie!

Ian

No I don't remember it in Hull Ian. My friend in Hull is just restoring a 60's  Elan Roadster. He got the body painted by SMS in Spalding last year..... ££££££. The car he bought in late 1970's from Ced Francis. Do you remember that dealer Ian? Cost him a few hundred quid when he bought it.

Interested about your comments on the de-compressor fitted to kick-start mechanism. My newly acquired CB250RSA has that arrangement. Does that mean it will be easy to start too? LaverdaDave will know.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2024, 05:00:08 PM »
Tha guy that services our cars has one of those sitting awaiting restoration in his garage. The roof line is so low to the ground. He is well over 6ft but says once in, its fine.

Always liked them. The early ones had a Renault 16 engine i recall didn't they?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 05:09:14 PM »
Tha guy that services our cars has one of those sitting awaiting restoration in his garage. The roof line is so low to the ground. He is well over 6ft but says once in, its fine.

Always liked them. The early ones had a Renault 16 engine i recall didn't they?

Do you mean the Europa or Elan Tim? The Elan had a Ford twin-cam I think (like the Cortina had ).
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2024, 05:13:32 PM »
Sorry Europa, hadn't realise the thread had moved on. 😜
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2024, 05:34:15 PM »
Sorry Europa, hadn't realise the thread had moved on. 😜

I drove a Renault Engined Europa back in the 1970's when I was in the trade it was surprisingly quick and handled as they used to say - like it was on rails.  Sold in less than a week - it was as noisy as hell in the back so it felt fast at 40 mph.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2024, 05:55:54 PM »
Ash,
The GB (400 and 500) were really easy to start - no fumbling around finding compression like on a Brit single, just give it a good prod and away it went!  Is the RSA leccy as well as kick?  I have a  CBX 250 RSE which I ought to move on - running out of years left!
I don't have any recollection of the dealer Ced Francis - where was he based?  I left Hull to go to Huddersfield Teacher Training College in 1975 and then landed my first teaching job in Southport, so have been away a lot longer than I lived there - still visit rellies and friends now and then.
Ian

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2024, 02:27:47 PM »
Ted, that's a lovely looking Europa - FAT Hull reg too!  Don't remember the car though - wonder if Ash does? 
I sold mine Moorey to a chap in our Jag and VJMC clubs - he still has it too.  I then got a GB500TT in that Burgundy colour.  I still think the 400 was better than the 500.  With the kickstart operated decompression system, my party trick was starting the 500 by hand on the kickstart - try doing that with a 500 Goldie!

Ian

No I don't remember it in Hull Ian. My friend in Hull is just restoring a 60's  Elan Roadster. He got the body painted by SMS in Spalding last year..... ££££££. The car he bought in late 1970's from Ced Francis. Do you remember that dealer Ian? Cost him a few hundred quid when he bought it.

Interested about your comments on the de-compressor fitted to kick-start mechanism. My newly acquired CB250RSA has that arrangement. Does that mean it will be easy to start too? LaverdaDave will know.

(Attachment Link)
You have to make sure you follow the procedure in the Haynes manual with regards to free play in the cable for the decompress or to work properly. I definitely couldn't start mine by hand as the compression was quite high on these engines although Bill at the bike shop said he knew of someone who could start theirs by hand. Maybe I need to use my Bullworker a bit more but I don't have the strength to get it out of the box.....🙄
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal