SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Delkevic Exhausts.

<< < (20/22) > >>

Seabeowner:
They are showing up today with a £50 discount with BEST5 code today if anyone is interested.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276326995669

mickwinf:
sod it, ordered a set for Lazarus, used the code to save £50

Jan B:
Seems Delkevic is on to something.....

deltarider:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 12, 2024, 05:58:42 PM --- Found it
"The key to getting the 4 into 4 system to hang right is to fit them with the end joints missing at first. Fit the lower one first, remember that this bracket goes behind the frame hanger, fit the manifold clamp and collets very loosely so the front can still move around but can’t fall. Now fit the upper exhaust, bracket now goes in front of the frame hanger, so one each side, fit the footrest loosely. Look at the balance pipe at the rear of the exhausts, they should be directly in line with a small gap between them. Now move the pipes to allow this to happen, make sure the downpipes aren’t touching the frame especially on the left side, one pipe goes behind the side stand bracket and one in front. Once everything lines up, nip up the lower manifold clamp to fix it in place, loosen off the upper pipe until you can fit the rubber balance pipe, realign the upper and tighten the footrest bolts first, then the manifold ones. If you’ve got it right everything should look aligned from the rear with no twisting in sight."

Copyright Ken P

--- End quote ---
When you prefer to do it like this ^, it implies you bring in the 10X35 hanger bolt from in to out, meaning the nut will be on the outside of the footpeg. Probably doable, be it that it deviates from what pics in the parts lists suggest.
Furthermore I miss in Ken's description an explicitly mentioning that, in the process of mounting the exhausts, brackets should not be fully tightened to the mufflers, not until the very last. IMO it wouldn't hurt to lube all parts that will need to slide somewhat into position with some vaseline or silicone grease.
I haven't given up hope that we in a joint effort can establish the correct working order in a set of numbered steps for once and for all. Think instructions Honda labourers at the assembly line must have had. Does the Delkevich set come with instructions? Probably not. ;D
I must say I became quite frustrated when I had to repair half of the 8 threads in the head where the studs sit. They're easily damaged when stressed. Not that long ago someone suggested to tighten them the last. In my - as always - humble opinion that would cause such a stress.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
As you have hinted no instructions with my Delkevic system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version