Author Topic: 400 Exhausts.  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Aye Gee 1977

• View Profile
Re: 400 Exhausts.
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2024, 10:31:38 PM »
The silencer supplied by DSS look good but didn't fit that well.

It sits too high and too near the bike such that it fouls the rear wheel spindle nut.  Packing can get it better, but still not quite right.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2024, 11:09:51 PM »
The silencer supplied by DSS look good but didn't fit that well.

It sits too high and too near the bike such that it fouls the rear wheel spindle nut.  Packing can get it better, but still not quite right.
  Just a random thought. Have you got the correct length rear shockers?  I made this mistake some time ago, and that was with the original factory fitted exhaust system.

Offline Mikep328

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2024, 12:36:48 PM »
I apologize if you are well aware of this but offer it hoping it might help...

Exhaust systems often do not align properly unless the various components are all installed but with all the fittings left loose.  Then, gradually tightening and, at the same time  some slight adjusting during the tightening process will ultimately achieve proper alignment.  Sometimes the alignment/tightening process will have to be "out of order" from the manual and/or logic!

My 400 has the DSS exhaust.  It was installed by a shop for the previous owner. Since I didn't install it I can't say anything about how difficult it may have been to install but it appears perfectly aligned.  Of course, one issue that can arise nowadays is that DSS (or anyone else) is selling exhausts made by whoever they can get them from.  Suppliers and their "accuracy" can change, affecting the ease of fitting though I would EXPECT (hope?) that any supplier's exhaust system would be able to be adjusted to fit the target moto properly during install. 

In any case, good luck with a quick and easy resolution!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 02:30:09 PM by Mikep328 »

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2024, 12:55:11 PM »
... Of course, one issue that can arise nowadays is that DSS (or anyone else) is selling exhausts made by whoever they can get them from.  Suppliers and their "accuracy" can change, affecting the ease of fitting...
I found that out with my DSS fuel tank! To make it fit the mounting rubbers had to be reduced in size.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2024, 01:00:36 PM »
My 400 came with an almost new chromed Motad system - when I tried to re-fit it boy was it a struggle until I worked out my bike had the wrong hangar bracket fitted by a PO.

With the correct bracket it was easier but still quite challenging to get the front pipes in by the right amount - a bit like trying to fit rubber shoes on an Octopus. Be prepared for  sweating quite a bit.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2024, 01:07:06 PM »
a bit like trying to fit rubber shoes on an Octopus.
WAH? Have actually done this?  :o
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal