SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Engine rebuild Parts list

(1/19) > >>

Dolomite_:
After googling and having a look through older posts and not finding anything, I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know if there is a list of what to replace when doing an engine rebuild? It's my first engine rebuild, the furthest I've been so far is taking the barrels off.

What is definitely worth replacing and what is worth replacing because its already stripped?

Johnwebley:
You really need to measure everything,

Bores plus  0,004 need to be bored,

Obviously mains,big ends checked,

Rubbers in clutch cush drive,

Oil seals,

Honda engineers did a great job,

My 500 recently had a refresh,

After 80,000 miles the bottom end just needed clutch Rubbers and primary chain,

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

taysidedragon:
If you look for Nurse Julie's engine rebuild, (link is on any of her posts) you'll see what is involved.

On a worn engine you may need new pistons and rings, valve guides, new bearings and seals, check camshaft tensioner horseshoe and guides, new camchain, primary chain and damper rubbers, check big end and main bearing shells plus a full gasket set.
A full rebuild is not cheap!

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
If you budget for £1200 to rebuild the engine (inc rebore) I suspect that is close to average today provided the head & camshaft are okay.
That does not include things like Soda Blasting or anything cosmetic.

Dolomite_:
The bike has done 28k but I dont know how much wear that might cause. I think it might be a case of I'm down there already so get a rebore of 0.25mm done.

Is the estimate of £1200 getting someone else to do it? From the rough estimates in my head, I was expecting 600-700 just for parts and doing 90% of it myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version