Author Topic: Engine rebuild Parts list  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Engine rebuild Parts list
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 10:16:51 AM »
How close are you to Liverpool?

Grampian Motors do a fair job

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 11:02:37 AM »
Thanks, Laverda Dave, I'll give Nurse Julie/Graham a dm. Not purchased any pistons yet, I'm waiting until I've sorted everything out with the engine. I was just going to go with the Davis Silvers Spares oversized ones so I know they will definitely fit but are there any that might be better?

Are the NOS Honda ones new old stock?

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 12:12:37 PM »
Sounds like an oxymoron dunnit?  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 01:04:46 PM »
Sounds like an oxymoron dunnit?  ;D

FFS I read it completely wrong :D. I've never seen new old stock abbreviated :D

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 01:05:35 PM »
It is a shame that NOS seems to be ingrained in the vernacular.

“Unused Old Stock” would have been better.

Too late now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 07:28:41 PM »
..could be nitrous oxide ?🙂
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 07:32:03 PM »
..could be nitrous oxide ?🙂
...Not On Shelf? ;D
I brake for animals!

Offline Cb750r

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 04:09:43 AM »
So you’ve bought a full gasket kit and plan on opening the engine, as others have said you might as well measure inspect but plan to replace all the main bearings and con rod bearings.

New cam chain, primary chain, tensioners for chains, Seal kits, dowel pins sometimes they get stuck in the cases, new chain and sprockets, plan on replacing some of the hardware like any countersunk screws if they’re tough coming out and the heads look manky. Fresh clutch, measure clutch springs replace if necessary.
Fresh rubber intakes for the carbs, if yours are old and hard.

Those are some of the things I’ve had to do in the process of my 750 engine builds. I know some are engine adjacent like fresh chain and sprockets but usually when engine is out it’s time to give the bike a solid going over.

Heck I’m down to bare frame on this engine rebuild…

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2024, 04:31:00 AM »
So you’ve bought a full gasket kit and plan on opening the engine, as others have said you might as well measure inspect but plan to replace all the main bearings and con rod bearings.
New cam chain, primary chain, tensioners for chains, Seal kits, dowel pins sometimes they get stuck in the cases, new chain and sprockets, plan on replacing some of the hardware like any countersunk screws if they’re tough coming out and the heads look manky. Fresh clutch, measure clutch springs replace if necessary.
Fresh rubber intakes for the carbs, if yours are old and hard.
Well, entire cam chain system and seals and also the intake rubbers were supplied along with gaskets from the start. I asked about the primary and got told it wasn't bad. A new piston ring was needed, the pistons were cleaned up too. Also a stripped thread in the cylinder head was dealt with. I've been a bit lucky I think.  ;D
I brake for animals!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2024, 08:24:33 AM »
Disagree about shells, inspect yes but replace only if wor and make sure you know where they were originaly

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2024, 03:22:18 PM »
Disagree about shells, inspect yes but replace only if wor and make sure you know where they were originaly

I've not looked at the crankshaft bearing just yet but the big end bearings seem ok, still slightly shiny. But I think I may as well replace them.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 08:29:27 PM »

I've not looked at the crankshaft bearing just yet but the big end bearings seem ok, still slightly shiny. But I think I may as well replace them.

Before you go and spend a shed load of cash on new shells get yourself some green plastigauge for £10 and measure the shells you have. Take some photos and post them here and do the same for the mains. The experts on here will be able to advise if the shells are scrap or useable (and assuming they are within tolerance after measuring with the plastigauge).
As has been said previously, please make sure you have made a note of where each individual half shall has come from and if it came from the top or bottom crankcase half. Post some photos of the journals as well.
One item not mentioned for your parts list is a tube of Hondabond. You will need this when assembling the crankcase halves. It's not cheap and don't be tempted to use instant gasket, you'll regret it when it blocks up the oilways and wrecks a newly rebuilt engine!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2024, 09:03:50 PM »
If you havent looked at crankcase how are you seeing the ends? And they are supposed to be shiney where they bed in, put up pics for advice before spending a fortune

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2024, 02:23:44 PM »
If you havent looked at crankcase how are you seeing the ends? And they are supposed to be shiney where they bed in, put up pics for advice before spending a fortune

I hadnt taken the con rods off then, but I have now.

Offline Dolomite_

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2024, 02:31:17 PM »

Before you go and spend a shed load of cash on new shells get yourself some green plastigauge for £10 and measure the shells you have. Take some photos and post them here and do the same for the mains. The experts on here will be able to advise if the shells are scrap or useable (and assuming they are within tolerance after measuring with the plastigauge).
As has been said previously, please make sure you have made a note of where each individual half shall has come from and if it came from the top or bottom crankcase half. Post some photos of the journals as well.
One item not mentioned for your parts list is a tube of Hondabond. You will need this when assembling the crankcase halves. It's not cheap and don't be tempted to use instant gasket, you'll regret it when it blocks up the oilways and wrecks a newly rebuilt engine!
[/quote]

Ive ordered some plastigauge green, should be here next week.

My nail doesnt catch on any of the crank case bearings but does slightly catch on the con rod bearings. I went to the engineering firm at lunch today, who fixed my tensioner for his opinion, he's been doing engine work for 40 years and has been recommended by a local restorer who uses him who has done work on previous cb400fs he was restoring. He said they dont seem too bad and would just replace them like for like. I'm going to wait until I can test it with the plastigauge before I pull the trigger on anything.

Upper crank case

Lower crank case

Con rod example

Another con rod

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal