SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Which Sprockets to use - 550/4

(1/2) > >>

Beemer634:
Hi all,
Just coming to the end of a restoration and now need to consider which sprockets to use. Is there any great benefit deviating away from the standard 17 tooth front and 36 tooth rear?
My research shows that there is an 18 tooth front available and that the 500/4 had a 34 tooth rear sprocket, can anyone tell me of their experiences of mixing sprockets.
I am after a bike that will cruise well and not after a record 0-60 time!
Thanks.
Rick

Bryanj:
Stick to the standard unless you are going to spend over 75% of your time on the motorway

Beemer634:
Many thanks, as always Bryan you are the man, I guess I should have come straight to you.

K2-K6:
You haven't got much leaway before max revs or not enough torque will run into a obvious compromise.

If use is mainly solo and rider not too big then gearing up a bit can be valid as standard is designed to cope with solo/passenger mix.

You will better be able to judge when you ride it if a particular characteristic annoys enough to choose different final drive ratio. I know that means that you'd have to buy more sprockets than choosing now though.

Both choices are raising the overall gearing though so if you want to maintain an option then consider that when you are making the chain length as if you extend the adjusters on standard gearing you still have room to put in a 18T front and move the wheel forward.

matthewmosse:
Even pulling a sidecar I found that standard 500/4 chain and sprocketts or the 550 ones were pretty much of a muchness and not worth deviating from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version