Author Topic: What is this cog called?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Re: What is this cog called?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 01:40:43 PM »
It might be the lighting, I can see what looks like quite a bit of light surface rust on the gearbox internals - mine was the same as was the gearbox output shaft where the front sprocket sits.

Not sure how quickly the surface rust returns or if there is any real danger of it contaminating the oil and reaching the crank journals - presumably the oil filter should catch that sort of stuff.
Maybe it has something to do with this engine now being open for more than two weeks?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 01:50:45 PM »
It could be imho the rust stains on that bearing in the right of the photo looks like moisture has been there quite a while.

More experienced members here will have seen worse - probably just normal on an old bike like ours even more so if not used over the winter with no oil splashing about.

Not forgetting that water emulsifies with mineral oil - less so with sythetic oil that we can't use as they put micronised chalk into modern oils to stop acid formation from burnt sulpher.

Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 04:52:50 PM »
Not forgetting that water emulsifies with mineral oil - less so with sythetic oil that we can't use as they put micronised chalk into modern oils to stop acid formation from burnt sulpher.
Maybe we should try a few hundred miles on White Vinegar/ Mineral Oil pre-mix?  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal