SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Removing excess powder coating from Brake Hub

(1/3) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
After doing a few household chores today I had half an hour to spare to look at building up the brake back plate with the brake shoes.
When I fitted the brake shoes there was no room for a washer between the shoes & the split pin - the original twin link item was missing so individual washers were used instead.

The powder coating appears to have raised the brake shoes both at the lever end and the pivot pins. As a result the brake shoes do not sit where they were before.

I do not have a Dremel tool so what is the easiest/best  way to remove the powder coating in the three affected areas. i.e. the brake shoe pins and the bottom lever actuator boss.

Is a Stanley knife blade likely to work (feels a tad dangerous) or do I use a small plastic cutting wheel in my electric drill?

Skoti:
Ted,

I would use an electric drill and a small grinding stone from my cheapo Lidl Powerfix milling/cutting/polishing tool set.

Same as this one currently offered on Fleabay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264785524889

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Looks a handly little kit thanks Skoit   - I've orderd one!

Johnwebley:
I bought a rechargeable Chinese copy of dremel from Aliexpress,

Complete with tools,

Works great, for the amount I use it, can't fault it,

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
A Dremel type tool is probably something I should have bought over a thirty tears  ago when I was doing all my home DIY.

For how much I would use one today I can't justify the outlay - a recommended cheapo might be an option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version