Author Topic: Fingers crossed....  (Read 998 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Fingers crossed....
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2024, 09:47:30 AM »
I hope the bike is ok and you can enjoy it as you used to as it obviously means a lot to you. It’s a shame the people who worked on it have so little knowledge of the engine and the person in charge failed to undertake basic workmanship checks prior to handing it back to you.

In view of how they have refitted the filter housing and the copper washers as pointed out by Nigel if it were my bike I would be taking the filter housing off to fit it correctly (the cast lug is there for a reason) and at the same time I would be checking the filter itself has been replaced with a new item and the flat washer has been refitted in the correct position between the spring and the filter. It will also give you an opportunity to check the condition of the oil. I would be taking pictures and I’d be going back to the mechanic and demanding some kind of refund for such shoddy workmanship.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2024, 10:08:30 AM »
I agree with Dave about checking the oil filter washer is still in place.

Not many places do refunds these days, they might offer to correctly fit the filter housing f.o.c. Personally I would correct it myself as I'm somewhat conflict averse as I get older.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2024, 11:39:48 AM »
Get Fixed? More like Get Fxxked! What a bunch of clueless cowboys. 😫
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2024, 12:12:35 PM »
Get Fixed? More like Get Fxxked! What a bunch of clueless cowboys. 😫
I think I pulled a dodgy assistant. They have done some great work for me before and my engine sounds great now, but less internal things appear to be Fawlty Towers.
Ding Dong. I've just discovered the tail lamp is on all the time even when the headlamp is off. ::)
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 06:14:12 PM »
And just to add to above make sure the filter spring is between the housing and filter and not between filter and engine! Been done before!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2024, 08:58:16 AM »
They did well to keep the filter housing horizontal when the top  lug was no where near.

I have always held onto the housing with one hand as I tighten it, obviously when located correctly.  It can be rocked as it's tightened until you can only just feel it touching the crankcase as the o-ring seal gets compressed, then tighten no more. Perfect seal, with not too much stress to allow them to be undone without recourse to rounding the 12mm head off  :)

I always use the Honda specified torque setting on this bolt Nigel but is your method more suitable to avoid the dreaded 12mm original bolt head rounding off? I would normally fit the aftermarket 17mm bolt but on ratty I'm going standard = more risk to rounding off at some point in the future.

To expand Dave, obviously Honda give a torque and rightly so. The range is not that tight (for 750 it's 19.5~23.9 ft/lb) and maybe not so repeatable if there's any variation in equipment too.

It is alternative but completely accurate to do it by feel as you'd never want to load the filter housing further than when the seal is effectively fully home. By "rocking" I meant rotation within the tab and it's restriction by rocking it clock and anti clockwise while tightening. 
Takes variable out of equation in reality by bringing the o-ring to compression and effective seal while leaving the housing the least stressed from the bolt.

Generally, methods like this are used in more critical cases to take out variation in tools and calibration, plus oil on threads etc.to reach the same point of joint security. 

The tab and restriction on cases stops the filter housing backing out under vibration so they've designed it such that it can't start to rotate and unwind the bolt with it.

Obviously a number of functions being performed by the bolt, seal, filter and housing,  making a balance between the design elements a little more complex. They put a 12mm on it to try and prevent any significant risk of tightening too much in workshops as it's a 20mm bolt with consequential risk to the cases and housing.  I've owned a six sided snap, on socket for them since tge 1970s  :) also a 17mm for tappet caps.

A long time ago I tested method against torque to see the difference, which came to the lightest torque Honda gave, but current o~ring material may shift that a little.  Probably worthwhile doing your own comparison to verify. I've never had a leak but often had to get other's filter bolts off after they've stuck, a couple of hairline cracked housing too.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2024, 01:00:35 PM »
I think its 1/4 whit that is a hammer on fit to worn 12mm, still have one in my toolbos---somewhere---(tool box that is!).
The original 750 housing was round with no fins and was reatively quickly superceeded because of cracking

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal