Other Stuff > Misc / Open

Advice sought, modernish tourer needed

(1/8) > >>

florence:
I hope people here might be able to advise.  My wife and I would like to do some touring in Europe but although we used to go everywhere on my CB500, we were a lot younger then and so was the bike.  Nowadays we probably need something more modern and a bit more comfortable.  Bearing in mind that the newest bike I've ever ridden is a 1978 CX500, I would appreciate some advice.  My initial investigations have brought me to Triumph Sprint 900 perhaps....

Lynx:
Hi Florence, You will get several different recommendations but mine is a VFR 750 or 800. Bargains at the moment, comfortable and very capable.

Sent from my HTC Desire 20 Pro using Tapatalk

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
At the risk of being shot down the Yamaha XJ900 Diversion are a reliable sit up & beg touring bike plus air cooled - they were popular with dispatch riders as well.

Plenty of grunt/torque  with twin discs at the front single at the rear. That said the VFR's seem very capable of achieving high mileages.https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202403237893115?advertising-location=at_bikes

K2-K6:
I guess there's many questions, price, age, faired or un, capacity, air or water-cooled etc.

Something of similar ilk to 500 could be from Honda hornet 600 range ... likewise Yamaha Fazer 600, Suzuki Bandit 600, plenty out there at variable cost with pretty decent power vs the 500 Four, so not slacking in pace and pull for two up touring.

Bikes like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256395213659 with a touring orientated spec possibly.

I like the Triumph you've mentioned, but possibly more fickle and potentially less supported through general dealerships than Japanese manufacturers while out and about.

Fairing top half around bars etc are very effective too for relaxed "wind calming" riding, more than the sum of their parts.

SteveD CB500K0:
I’ve had both a Sprint 900 and. VFR

The Sprint is big, comfy and very grunty (Spellcheck changed that to “grungy )

The VFR800 was more modern and generally reckoned to be the best sports tourer ever made.

Ultimately though, I sold the VFR after trying a Sprint 955 which I loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version