Other Stuff > Misc / Open

Advice sought, modernish tourer needed

<< < (2/9) > >>

Green1:
I would recommend any Hinckley Triumph the nine hundreds make more sense than the twelve hundreds almost as powerful and a fair bit lighter. Or even a Guzzi 1200 Brava,Sport or Norge all very cheap and capable bikes once there niggles are sorted. I have a lot of back issues and can't sit on the sofa for more than an hour but can ride the Guzzi all day 300+mile.

That's the last time I mention an Italian bike on the forum as I plan to dig out the 750 soon I hope. Even though anymore than 40 mile I want to get off it.

taysidedragon:
I had a Trident 900 for 6 years and did a lot of miles on it, great bikes.The seat is high so not a good choice if short in the leg. All the Hinkley 900s have a problem with the starter sprag clutch spring eventually. Early ones have an access plate, so easy to replace. Later ones don't have access without full engine out to fix it. That's progress!
If you want one check the starter works properly.
Have a look at Bandits and Fazers but check for corrosion,  paintwork and plating not the best.

Green1:
The sprag clutch only fails if you regularly turn the bike over with a weak battery. My dad's 1200 trophy was fine with over 85k on the clock. I had one fail on the Aprilia after I neglected the battery. So I've learnt my lesson and never attempt to start a bike that's stood for awhile without giving it a quick top-up

taysidedragon:

--- Quote from: Green1 on March 25, 2024, 08:49:29 PM ---The sprag clutch only fails if you regularly turn the bike over with a weak battery. My dad's 1200 trophy was fine with over 85k on the clock. I had one fail on the Aprilia after I neglected the battery. So I've learnt my lesson and never attempt to start a bike that's stood for awhile without giving it a quick top-up

--- End quote ---

Trouble is, buying one now you don't know what the previous owners have done with it. That's why you need to have a good check of the starter.

Laverdaroo:
It’s a well known fact in here but my VFR800 has over 170k innit and I’ve been everywhere on it. The trumpets a great bike, so is the XJ albeit dated now. So many variables. I can’t fault my VFR as it’s so versatile, I wouldn’t know what to replace it with, …….except another one.

Also as an add I’ve an 09 plate one for sale in dark graphite grey with a few bits n bobs on it should you decide to go that route but don’t want to spend a fortune. Go ride some bikes, you’ll soon know what you like and what fits you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version