SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Carb Cleaning Tips?

(1/6) > >>

Mike_Berkshire:
Hi, I have recently bought a 1976 US import CB550 and 'those that know' have recommended I join this forum; greetings!
My first task on the bike is to strip and rebuild the cruddy, varnish-rich carbs. I have access to an ultrasonic cleaner but Im wondering if that will be sufficient to clean the float needles, jets, emulsion tube etc or will I have to soak the tiny bits in some spray carb cleaner as well? Any advice very welcome. I want to keep the original Keihin brass components if I can, I dont want to replace them unless I have to. Thanks.

K2-K6:
Welcome to the forum.

The usual trip up on most gummed carbs like these is the primary circuit and it's jets. Nothing but absolute clean will keep you from chasing your tail.

Definitely keep the brass if serviceable, all the rest is just routine with enhanced attention to detail in getting to where you want.

Plenty of support here for any questions.

Sounds like a good project.

deltarider:
Hello Mike, your bike probably is a CB550K2. The old style carbs on this model are relatively easy to clean. I've never needed an ultrasonic bath for my carbs, but my CB500 never sits for longer than 6 months and I take some precautions. Your carbs - probably numbered 087A - can be cleaned manually. Although ultrasonic is an option, there is a risk you will loose a tiny plastic part (#1 carb) in the process. I will try to find the link.
The brassware in these oldstyle hardly wears. My parts have been in there for over 140.000 km and there's still no indication of wear.
Tip: before you remove the airscrews (in the side of the carbs) turn them fully in (gently!), counting the turns. Write down the position (turns) they were in, for future reference. I'd like to know whether yours has the solid pointed airscrews or the cross drilled open ended ones.
You can find a lot of information concerning your model in the parts list here: https://www.honda4fun.com/dwnload/Part-List/CB550/CB550-K0-K1-K2-Parts-List.pdf 

Nurse Julie:
Welcome Mike, I'm pleased you joined us. I've just posted your bits 😊😊😊

Mike_Berkshire:
Thanks for the warm welcome and helpful info everyone and Julie for your patience and knowledge. It would be really helpful to know more about the small plastic part in carb #1 if you can find the link @deltarider; I havent come across that yet. I am mostly following an instructional video on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFTOfYl5BSc&t=962s

Great news that these parts clean up well - onwards with the adventure!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version