SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Carb Cleaning Tips?

<< < (6/6)

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: magpie114 on March 28, 2024, 08:18:19 PM ---Many years ago I used to mix relatively large quantities of HF with other acids to make a reagent for etching certain types of stainless steels. Head to foot PPE in a room with fume extraction and a shower activated in an emergency by stepping on a footplate. Highly corrosive and toxic.
I didn't realise it was used in alloy wheel cleaners, I guess (hope) its in a low concentration.

Alan

--- End quote ---

https://www.jennychem.com/products/aliclean-super-very-effective-solution

Can't find a Jennychem safety data sheet for it but in another brand its stated as< 7%

I suspect that the concentration has gone down over the past few years.

magpie114:
Well I’m surprised it’s freely available although it does say for professional use only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erny:

--- Quote from: Mike_Berkshire on March 28, 2024, 05:38:29 PM ---Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. Most of the small brass components are now looking pretty spruce and the little spring bit in all the needles is free (much soaking).

Im left with some corrosion and pitting on the outside walls of a couple of the emulsifier tubes although the pinholes look clean and uncorroded - I am assuming this OK?

Im going to make some replacement gaskets for the top cover above the slide arms using Flexiod from Amazon. It comes in a number of thicknesses. Can anyone tell me what thickness and if Flexoid is a poor choice, please shout out. Thanks, Mike

--- End quote ---

Mike, before deciding of you reuse brassware, check emulsification tubes for internal corrosion - I spent years investigation why I had one cyl spark plug always dark - see here https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,25641.msg235103.html#msg235103

deltarider:

--- Quote from: Mike_Berkshire on March 28, 2024, 05:44:24 PM ---They are the cross drilled open ended ones.
--- End quote ---
So far no one has reported the solid airscrews, not on the K models, so it's almost certain the American Honda Parts List has it wrong as far as the CB550K2*.

--- Quote from: Mike_Berkshire on March 28, 2024, 05:44:24 PM --- All mixture screws were just one turn out...
--- End quote ---
11/2 turn out ± 3/8 was recommended for these models.

--- Quote from: Mike_Berkshire on March 28, 2024, 05:44:24 PM ---... and the slide needles are all set to the second position from the needle tip. Needles seem high and mixture screw seems less screwed out that usual - the 2 balance each other out?

--- End quote ---
Confusing. Please clarify. In Hondaspeak we always measure the needle's position from top and not from the pointed tip.

--- Quote from: Mike_Berkshire on March 28, 2024, 05:44:24 PM ---Needles seem high and mixture screw seems less screwed out that usual - the 2 balance each other out?

--- End quote ---
On the contrary. One turn out is quite rich. As far as the needle, it depends what you meant. If they are in 4th from top, they are in standard position.
* p.C10 Ref. No.7 SCREW SET A in: https://www.honda4fun.com/dwnload/Part-List/CB550/CB550-K0-K1-K2-Parts-List.pdf

Matt_Harrington:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on March 28, 2024, 07:37:40 PM ---HFl is a nasty acid easily absorbed through the skin it will leach the Calcium out of your bones - my BiL has terrible hand issues from working with it in the glass cutting etching trade at Webb Corbett in Tutbury.

--- End quote ---
I've heard of terrible stories of HF - the stuff frightens me!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version