SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Leak in front brake switch and by the caliper

(1/4) > >>

alexdecker:
Hey all

Chasing down a front brake leak. The bike has somewhat new steel braided brake lines. But I have a leak at the switch and all the way down at the caliber.

When looking at spare parts, I can see that by the switch, there is a stainless steel washer. Is that the only thing sealing this thing? No rubber or copper seals?

Also, by the caliper, it would seem I have a leak. The steel lines just screw directly into the caliper with no seal at all either. How can I fix a leak in that area? (see picture)

- Alex

Bryanj:
They should be soft alloy washers not stainless and can be replaced by copper at bot switch and union screwed into caliper, as to the bleeder if that is damaged replacement is the only option, what bike is it

Laverdaroo:
Yeah, with Bryan, you’re missing the copper/ally washers either side of the banjo’s and at the calliper. If you haven’t got any, ring HEL AT Exeter, they’ll post em to you super quick and should be a couple of quid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Athame57:
I had this issue years ago, in my case all I had to do was tighten the switch properly, I can't think why it took me a couple of weeks to notice but it was dangerous, front brake needed pumping of the lever to work  now and then. I bled the brakes but it didn't help. But what I then discovered was that over time brake fluid had been getting sprayed at the front left overhang on the fuel tank, spoiling the paint work, it is a potent paint stripper too. ::)

alexdecker:
Thank you all for the replies. The leak by the switch seems very minor. I don't need to pump the lever to make the brake work. But when I use the brake 3-4 times, a tiny drop of fluid will leak from the switch. I will try and see if I can tighten it a bit and maybe that helps.

I was looking at this spare part list (https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-european-direct-sales_model17122/partslist/F05.html) and the washers (part 17) just seemed like regular steel ones - that's why I got a little confused.

The connection to the caliper pipe inlet is still a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe it's just broken. The part list doesn't say it needs a crush washer, so I don't know how to seal it. Why is there no crush washer here?

- Alex

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version