Author Topic: Electrics  (Read 5237 times)

Offline exvalvesetdabbler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Electrics
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
On the 400 four the 2nd position on the key is for parking lights and you should be able to remove the key from that position.

For the flasher relay you can get away with a standard two terminal device from a car if the wattage is right.

I have had problems in the past with the fuse holder not gripping the fuse tight enough causing a bad connection. Try removing the fuses and squeeze the holder terminals together a bit and also check for corrosion. and loose rivets.

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
Re: Electrics
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
I had a problem with the ignition switch on my 750 on the way to the Dutch TT back in 1984...I remember it so well.

My brother's silencer/collector from His Harris 4-1 had fallen off on the A2 on the way to Dover so we had all pulled over to watch him try & retrieve said exhaust part from the fast lane of the fast bit of the road. Once he'd got the flattened part back, I went to switch my bike back on so's to continue on...except it was dead...as a door nail. Once I had ascertained that it was the switch that was faulty, I bypassed this & got on the way again.

When I got home I took the ignition switch off & took it apart. With a mass of springs & copper links inside, that were quite badly corroded & burnt, I knew that it could be rebuilt. I used a points file to clean up the surfaces of the contact links & then tinned them with solder. Once back together again it worked perfectly.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal