SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

main/big end bearing size differences

(1/3) > >>

Dolomite_:
What are the size differences for the bearing, i.e between brown and green?

Or could someone point me in the direction of some documentation?

Bryanj:
Minescule is the answer, the Honda manual gives max and min sizes for pin, rod housing, case housing but not for shell thickness

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I'm pretty sure members here have said if the particular colour shell is not available then going one size larger just needs the gentle running in.

That might account for the patchy availability of black shells in general.

Dolomite_:
One of my mains is giving an odd reading, its 0.38mm when the rest are 0.025mm.

Can I assume the clearance is fine if its within the wear limit of 0.02 or 0.05mm?

How close it too close?

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):

--- Quote from: Dolomite_ on April 03, 2024, 08:47:13 PM ---One of my mains is giving an odd reading, its 0.38mm when the rest are 0.025mm.

Can I assume the clearance is fine if its within the wear limit of 0.02 or 0.05mm?

How close it too close?

--- End quote ---

Which main bearing is the odd one out and what is the corresponding casing code?
What is the actual journal diameter of the crank on that journal?

You have a massive difference in the two measurements you have quoted.
That first figure 0.38 mm is more than ten times greater than the second figure of 0.025 mm is it a typo should it be O.038mm?

What is the Plastigauge reading in microns compared to the other four?
If the clearance is within the manual readings of 20-50 u then it's okay.

What colour shell have you placed in that journal, if the clearance is way too small you need the next smaller colour or visa versa if it's too big - if that makes sense.

Your casing codes shown in previous  post was B A A A A
B being number one main journal.

Might be worth checking the journal again after rotating the crank 90 degrees to rule out a bent crank.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version