SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Rebuild parts questions

(1/3) > >>

Dolomite_:
I've seen a few people mention that the typical full engine gasket/seal sets are missing a few things. What exactly are they missing? I've got it from here because of no stock in some other places https://www.bertrumsbikebits.co.uk/product/honda-cb-400-4004-cb400-4-cb400f-full-gasket-set/.

Is it worth replacing the cirlips? If so how many are there exactly?

What other small things do you normally miss?

I'm placing a big order with yamira so don't want to have to end up paying another chunk for shipping on a few missed things.

so far I've noted these in my google sheets file:
cam chain
Cam chain tensioner blade
Cam chain guide blade
Cam chain tensioner blade damper rubber
Camchain tensioner arm
Clutch lifter plate bearing
Cush drive rubber
Engine oil seal kit
Exhaust silencer to collector box gasket
exhaust downpipe to collecter
Exhaust No. 3 down pipe to collector box clamp
Exhaust No. 1 down pipe to collector box clamp
Exhaust port gasket
Oil filter
rubber damper
exhaust collar

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
If you have dismantled the gear shafts I would replace those circlips pretty sure the size is in the parts book iirc.
Two obvious ones that come to mind are the ones on the end of the clutch unit and the kick start shaft.
I suspect one aftermarket gasket set will differ in content to another brand. A lot of shaft oil seals and O rings are extra to the gasket sets. None include the oil pump O rings but you might already have bought the kit from Nurse Julie.
Other thoughts are the head gasket thickness might affect the corresponding O rings that you fit on the head.
Oil sump pick up pipe O ring.
I would spend some time looking through the parts book to double check stuff like the two small parts that the tensioner blade sits into etc.

You might get lucky with a member who has made a complete list

Laverda Dave:
In addition to Ted's comments;
You will need the three o-rings for the oil gallery plugs, they are a unique size and are Honda expensive.
The Haynes manual states to renew the circlips and thrust washers on the gear shafts if the individual gears are disturbed.
Don't be tempted to re use the piston circlips!
My gasket kit did include the oil rail o-rings in the top of the cylinder head as well as the inlet manifold o-rings (4-off) and the exhaust header to head gaskets.
I re-used the 'U' shaped tensioner cushions they were fine on inspection.

Bryanj:
Primary chain and primary cush drive rubbers, although cheaper to buy kawasaki primary from fowlers, also the special sealing washers for two of the head nuts

Dolomite_:

--- Quote from: Bryanj on April 04, 2024, 10:13:37 PM ---Primary chain and primary cush drive rubbers, although cheaper to buy kawasaki primary from fowlers, also the special sealing washers for two of the head nuts

--- End quote ---

Cush rubbers are about £10 from yamira. What are the special washers?

Do you have the part number for the Kawasaki cush rubbers?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version