SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Opening that can of worms

(1/7) > >>

Shetland Biker:
Hi there,  posted a while ago when i joined the forum,  unfortunately life got in the way for a little bit,  but i have finally got my 1978 cb750 project bike.  one thing im thinking is to send the engine away to get properly looked at, change piston rings, seals, gaskets, and just have someone look at it.  i have no history on the bike. so im thinking i dont know who has had it open or done what to it.  so if im going to restore this bike i may as well do it properly from the start.  i do have some mechanical knowledge but not enough to strip and rebuild an engine even with todays youtube guide.  so after that long winded intro. my question is,  is there a go to place to send a cb750 SOHC engine to get looked at?  also if anyone has a rough price on what said work might cost providing they find nothing majorly wrong with the engine? thanks in advance.  and be sure this will be the first of very many questions lol.

Bryanj:
Your first problem is finding somebody to work on it, second is what model is it? Just saying 78 means nothing.
Parts alone can be anything from a couple of hundred to several thousand depending on what is found inside, there is no such thing as an "average" rebuild, every last one you lay spanners on needs different things.
You need a gasket set and oil seal set just to take it apart and put together, then depending on model, valve guides, cam chain+tensioners, primary chains+ tensioners, pistons etc etc.
Where are you?

SteveD CB500K0:
A long way from you Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryanj:
A long way from anybody if it is Shetland Steve! So that would add a few hundred for 2 way carriage

Shetland Biker:
yea im up in Shetland, which is a huge pain in the ass sometimes.  how would i tell what model? would that be from the start of the frame number?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version