Other Stuff > Misc / Open

Ram Air

(1/2) > >>

Athame57:
For a few months I rode a GT380, the only air cooled two stroke I ever had. Anyone got an opinion if it made any difference or was it just a gimmick?  :-\

Johnwebley:
Ram air was mainly a gimmick,

But it could help cool the head,
But unlike 4 strokes, it has no valves, guides etc,that need cooling,

Check out air cooled multi row aircraft radial engines with ducting

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Didn't the Yamaha EXUP have a similar system at one time?

Rozabikes Tim:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on April 07, 2024, 12:49:30 PM ---Didn't the Yamaha EXUP have a similar system at one time?

--- End quote ---

I think that was ram air as in forced induction of air into airbox / carbs via large diameter pipework from the front of the fairing. Also see the early ZXR750 Kwaks with what looked like vacuum cleaner hoses behind the fairing running into the tank area. Ram air on the GT Suzukis was a cowling round the top of the head, forcing air into the area for cooling.  And yes a gimmick then and now.

Athame57:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on April 07, 2024, 12:49:30 PM ---Didn't the Yamaha EXUP have a similar system at one time?

--- End quote ---
Just took a look at one on the web. Those two round intakes with tubes...... I remember one at Boxhill ( Biker haunt ) someone asked the owner 'now what does this do apart from making the fairing hard to take off'?  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version