SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

CB550 Cylinder 1&2 not firing

(1/3) > >>

Mike_Berkshire:
Hi, thanks for all the help re Carb rebuild for my CB550. I was dead chuffed when i put the rebuilt carbs on the bike and it ran. However, I have quickly realised that the pipes for cylinders 1&2 are cold & therefore not running on these cylinders. My logic is that as 3&4 are running its not condensers, not coils, not plugs (there is a spark on 1&2) and not fuel to the carbs as the float bowls are filling. What im guessing is that there was some contamination in the fuel line to the carbs for 1&2 that has blocked the jets. Tomorrow im planning to remove the carbs, clean them, blow out the jets, check float valves, float needles etc and try again. Is there anything obvious that anyone can think Im missing? As I sit on the bike I am numbering the carbs from left to right from the gearlever side. Cheers, Mike

Johnny4428:
Sounds like fuel issue alright. Electrical delivers to 1&4 and 2&3 cylinders of course.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Are the plug leads in the right order could 1 & 2 be back to front?

Mike_Berkshire:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on April 11, 2024, 06:53:45 PM ---Are the plug leads in the right order could 1 & 2 be back to front?

--- End quote ---
Interesting. I guess its possible. Each of the plug leads is numbered and the leads go to the correct cylinders according to the numbers so I think its unlikely but how do I check the numbers havent been put on the wrong leads or moved as an act of humour by a previous owner or their mate playing a wizard wheeze?

K2-K6:
One coil only runs cylinders 1 & 4 with the other coil running the 2 & 3 pair.

Easy to quick check, no numbers needed.

Another easy test, if you've any e-z-start or brake cleaner, you can put a little squirt into the cylinder via it's  sync port while its running to see if that pot will chime in, obviously then indicates fuel absent on that one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version