Author Topic: Mysterious CB500 clutchcable in original Honda packaging with correct partnumber  (Read 396 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Bought from Marktplaats (the Dutch kind of Ebay): a new original (?) 22870-323-621 clutchcable for all European models CB500 Four for € 20,-. Haven't opened the packaging yet, as I discovered some differences with my old clutch cable I still have, which definitely is original. The one I bought now, is not only thinner, but also lacks the thicker part. Inner cable is not lined. Seller says he bought it a very long time ago from a shop that quitted business. The question is: were the CB500 clutch cabels always  lined? If not, could this be an original, like maybe on the early CB500s? Or is it despite its packaging and partnumber inside the packaging an imitation? Who knows more?

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
The packaging looks right for genuine Honda imho.
Have you checked the part number against the 500 parts book for the UK it lists 22870-323-620 when I looked?

Mine was far too long (44" approx) it was marked 22870-323-621 I fitted a Wemoto one for £12.00 that was the correct length at 40.5" measuring the outer cable.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 06:05:27 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
I have informed Customer Support of Honda EU on the matter and they are investigating it.
Note that the cable lacks the thicker part against chafing. The cable is much thinner than the previous 22870-323-621 ones I had and I could not detect the inner Teflonlike lining. When you zoom in on the pic, you will notice a detail: the little coupon wich mentions the partnumber has 'Japan' cut off from 'Made in Japan'.
My hope was that mechanics that have worked on these bikes, could remember/testify that inspite of the identical partnumber 22870-323-621 cables could nonetheless differ in quality. That would be exceptional however. The underlying systematic of Honda's partnumbers code is, that even when the smallest detail of a part is modified, the last three digit number in the partnumber will change.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
All the original cables i saw in the 70's had a black lining on the inner cable and should have had a white inner coating on the outer but you only saw that if the outer was damaged.
I also know for a fact that the taiwanese manufacturers at the time would package anything in the way the buyer asked, i bought many Yamaha FS1E cylinders in packaging identical to original.
Honda cables normaly had the part number in white on the outer sleeve.
I doubt that Honda will do anything as you do not know where it originally came from, that dealer is gone so cannot provide purchase details and finaly time in stock
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 01:58:38 PM by Bryanj »

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
All the original cables i saw in the 70's had a black lining on the inner cable [...]
Thanks Bryan. The old original cable I have kept also has a black lining on the inner cable. The one on the bike for the last 60.000 km - also original - IIRC gray but as soon I have checked I'll report.
[...]
I doubt that Honda will do anything as you do not know where it originally came from, that dealer is gone so cannot provide purchase details and finaly time in stock
So far Honda seems very interested. Seller has 30 more. He has bought them back in the day of a dealer that went out of business. The difference in quality is substantial. My old cable weighs a ton compared to the one in the package. Still the cable I bought of him may well be original. What puzzles me is that the partnumbers, including the 3 digits MODIFICATION DESIGNATION, are identical.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Like i said the taiwanese manufacturers did not care and put on whatever the buyer wanted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal