Author Topic: Where to Start?  (Read 269 times)

Offline Mike_Berkshire

• View Profile
Where to Start?
« on: April 17, 2024, 08:39:48 PM »
Hi, much excitement as my registration document has arrived today for my '76 CB550 import. DVLA turned this around in 2 weeks and one day - Im pleasantly surprised!
Knowing that it wont need a physical inspection I can now strip it down and start the rebuild. A very 'Newbie' question: is there are generally accepted order to strip down the bike? I guess I want to remove as much as I can before the wheels but welcome any advice. If there are any docs in the archive please can someone point me in the right direction? I have checked Aladdin's Cave and didnt see anything there. Thanks, Mike

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Start?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 08:53:59 PM »
The full Honda manual is there but you have to start with the 500 then all the supplements till you get to your model.
No real order for stripping but if you are going to do engine work it makes it easier and lighter to get out if you remove the head and barrels first.
Get an impact screwdriver with JIS bits and a 3/8 drive socket set with both long sockets and six sided

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 08:18:58 AM »
Can you inform us some more why it needs a rebuild?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 09:19:58 AM »
I'd start with removing exhaust, carbs etc, then plug the holes and give the engine a really good clean while its easily accessible. Prefer that to dismantle with oil/grit etc in place.

Then electrics off, finally engine out then just the chassis to dismantle when it's completely bare.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal