Author Topic: Oil pressure relief valve removal  (Read 275 times)

Offline Brocky2

• View Profile
Oil pressure relief valve removal
« on: April 18, 2024, 07:36:34 AM »
Hello All,
I’ve a suspected high oil pressure problem on my 1978 CB550k3. I’ve just completed a complete engine strip down and rebuild (new gaskets everywhere). I’ve had oil coming out of my cam cover bolts (the ones inside the rubber gasket/seal). I’ve also had real problems getting my cam end cap seals to stop leaking. The breather hose at the top of the engine is clear and not kinked and I’ve blown into the engine from here to check it’s not blocked in the top cover. A really helpful chap on this forum suggested it might be a stuck oil pressure relief valve so I took out the 14mm cap on the oil pump and the spring came out but I wasn’t able to get the plunger out. Should it fall out with the spring or do I need to remove the oil pump to push it out from the inside? I wasn’t keen to take the pump off again as I had real  problems getting it to seal last time. An egg cup full of oil did drop out with the spring suggesting oil is getting past the plunger possibly?
I will take the pump off if I need to but am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure relief valve removal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 07:57:34 AM »
Trigger had one stuck, or wrongly assembled from new and the pressure cracked the oil filter housing so i doubt yours is stuck solid.
The bolts inside the cam cover O ring should have copper wasers under the heads and the brackets for the end caps alloy ones

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 09:14:53 AM »
I'd be inclined to remove and inspect it, to then at least have confidence in it's competent operational effectiveness.

It should be at highest "over pressure" risk when starting with cold oil, the relief valve is ultimately to save the oil pump drive from failure on any engine.

Offline Brocky2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 10:44:27 AM »
Thanks both for your replies,
Yes I have copper washers on the cam cover bolts and aluminium washers on the cam end cover brackets. Mind you Ali washers were harder to come by than expected. also I’ve had to put in extra O rings at the end of the cam cover dowels to get them to seal off. Another reason why I thought I might be over pressured. 
I think you’re right I need to take the pump off and have a proper look.

Offline davidcumbria

• Such great knowledge and support on here 👍
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 10:38:08 PM »
Seem to remember thinking you could assemble with piston the wrong way round which could affect operation.may be wrong about this but worth looking into.
500/4 in 79. No bikes for 30 years. 750/4 in 2013, 550/4 in 2023. Also own  R1100GS, RD350LC YPVS , Triumph Street Triple, Yamaha XT250

Offline Brocky2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 06:45:07 AM »
Thanks David,
Thanks I’ll check that against the CMSNL diagrams when I have it apart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal