SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

CB550 Oil Filter Bolt Removal

(1/8) > >>

Mike_Berkshire:
Im planning to lift the 550 engine out of the frame at the weekend and intended to take off the Oil Filter housing to make removal from the frame easier. The bolt on the oil filter housing looks horrendous, no flats left and I doubt a smaller socket tapped onto it would grip. I can probably get my large Molegrips on it but before I go down that route are there any tips for tackling this? I have given it a good squirt of WD and left it to soak in. Thanks

Johnwebley:

--- Quote from: Mike_Berkshire on April 23, 2024, 08:18:51 AM ---Im planning to lift the 550 engine out of the frame at the weekend and intended to take off the Oil Filter housing to make removal from the frame easier. The bolt on the oil filter housing looks horrendous, no flats left and I doubt a smaller socket tapped onto it would grip. I can probably get my large Molegrips on it but before I go down that route are there any tips for tackling this? I have given it a good squirt of WD and left it to soak in. Thanks

--- End quote ---
What a beaut!

Good luck

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Bryanj:
I think its 3/16 whitworth socket that will hammer onto that and undo it, never failed me when working for a Honda dealer, might be 1/4, its a long time since i did this

K2-K6:
You could file the flats to give a little better chance with a smaller sized socket firstly.

The WD doesn't usually do much as they aren't usually stuck in conventional "corrosion" terms, more that they've been tightened too much to distort the filter housing and just making the torque required too high to turn easily.

The housing will rock clock and anti clockwise within it's pegged location, just a little. Turn if fully clockwise first, then while putting pressure on the bolt to undo it, try and turn the housing WITH the bolt, until it reaches it's furthest anti clockwise position.
Then hold the bolt and turn the filter back fully clockwise again, then repeat this to get the bolt moved. It's just fidgeting it (doesn't move much) but gradually ratchets the bolt to help it loosen. Once the pressure comes off the housing the bolt will usually move easily.

Johnny4428:
That looks a bit challenging! I would try the smaller socket on it first as Bryan suggested although very good tips from Nigel too, single hex socket ofcourse not the multi hex ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version