SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

CB550 Oil Filter Bolt Removal

<< < (2/8) > >>

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
The mix of Bryan & Nigels advice should work if you use a T bar rather than using a ratchet on the socket you can apply the force more evenly a third hand might help with the filer housing whilst you use the T bar - best of luck.

Mike_Berkshire:
Its just too far gone. Smaller socket tried and it just broke away from the head of the bolt with a sprinkle of metal chips from the head. I think that I will try and remove the engine from the frame with the housing in situ and then try again when its on the bench and I have good access. Last resort will be to drill out/grind off (carefully) the remainder of the hex head so that the flange can be removed and then it should be possible to withdraw the filter housing over the oil bolt and then remove the remains of the oil bolt once the housing and filter have been removed? What a faff.

K2-K6:
If it's properly "farked" .... cheap socket, tap it on, weld it to it, then it'll come undone.

They don't get stuck on their threads, just compressed the seal o-ring and if done too tight by previous O then "splaying" the filter housing.

The bolt diameter is quite big as it houses the oil pressure bypass valve to accommodate if the paper filter gets blocked as emergency through route.

The flange is relatively small in it's overhang from that bolt diameter, but probably difficult to cut off without risking the housing.

A really good new/sharp set of "cobra" waterpump type pliers can get onto the outside of flange to succeed sometimes .... keep your fingers out the way though  :-[  in case they slip.

It's an odd one, because they aren't usually stuck that much, as in not seized solid, just enough to prevent easily coming undone with a mangled hex.

All because people avoid warning not to tighten them too much.

ozzybud:
Get a set of these external bolt and stud extractors.
That Bolt will be out in seconds.
Ozzybud [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Moorey:
Cut a decent sized slot about 5mm across the hex and use a piece of 5mm steel in the slot and turn it with a fair sized adjustable spanner whilst holding the jaws of the adjuster hard up against the hex. It will come out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version