SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

BMW R80

(1/3) > >>

davidcumbria:
Wanted to try something different to restore after the 550k1 so have got a slightly unloved but running 1986 R80,  not the faired touring rt  one just the naked lighter bike. My daily rider is 1999 1100 GS and I’ve owned several 1200 GS so I could see the lighter lower R80 as a bike I could enjoy long term. The 800 has a reputation as the smoothest airhead and it does have that feel.  Restoration will be next winter but my initial research makes me think self restoration of the gearbox is probably out due to special tools, intricate shimming and a press needed which is slightly disappointing and makes me reflect wistfully on the ease of doing the 550. Anyone here with any experience or thought on a BMW airhead ?

Bryanj:
Only ever had to do clutch and pushrod seals so cant really help there as they were always reliable

K2-K6:
No experience on that bike from me either.

Does the gearbox have any problems now  ?

If not, then an oil change to look a what's in there (presuming it's seperate lubrication? ) and check through for specular particle etc would be worthwhile prior to the general restore.  Could be fine without strip and attention, with dedicated gearboxes unlikely to be compromised if lubrication has been OK through life.

If it's EP oil spec in there, my "favourite" oil is Motul EP 75w80 if that's in compatible range from specification.

Johnwebley:
I have a thought, the joints and the  splines on the shaft drive,

I know a friend that had a K brick had issues

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Bryanj:
The early K's had some problems but they were inline 3 or 4 cylinder bikes, i was taught by a good bm mechanic how to stop tappet rattle and will pass that on if you wish

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version