SOHC.co.uk Forums > Other Bikes

BMW R80

<< < (3/3)

flatfour:
I've owned BMW airheads on and off since the 1970's when I had one of the last R90S's into the UK.

I think that Matt Hull (Classic Bike Guide) did say that the bottom - end problems on his bike came through low oil level. Most of the older boxer engines had a real thirst for oil and on touring trips with other owners, often at the end of a long day's ride on the continent, we would buy a gallon of 20/50 and share it between three or four bikes. There was never any left in the container!

My understanding is that both the gearbox and shaft drive is difficult to self - service though there are a few well - known businesses that offer overhaul if needed.

Perhaps it might be worth joining the BMW Club, which has lots of information available, as well as a tool hire service for DIY work that includes nearly all of the special tools ever offered by BMW?

davidcumbria:
Thanks Flat four I’m going to have to keep an eye on that oil level! Looking into joining the BMW club. As always now there are some superb video tutorials on you tube an absolute god send and I’ve already stripped the bike and figured out what tools I need - virtually 👍

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version