SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Swinging arm bushes

(1/5) > >>

Mike_Berkshire:
Another newbie question. I am getting close to the point where I can send the frame to the paintshop for stripping/enamelling. I have taken off the swinging arm, removed the pivot bolt & the end caps. I assume that where the manual (Im mainly using Haynes) describes 'bushes' it is referring to the inner (steel?) sleeve. Having only worked on old Brit bikes previously, to me a swinging arm bush is a short brass or phosphor bronze insert. Subject to the bush sleeve being within tolerance I am planning to leave it in the swinging arm whilst it is repainted; masking the ends and the grease nipple. Is this approach OK and is my understanding of what needs to be checked for tolerance correct? Thanks

Nurse Julie:
The old ones you are referring to are like a bakolite. Cut a chanel in them and remove them before powder coating etc. Just cut lengthway with a hacksaw blade and prise out. Then cover the ends for powder coating. I sell the bronze bush replacements.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Mike_Berkshire:

--- Quote from: Nurse Julie on May 01, 2024, 10:17:31 AM ---The old ones you are referring to are like a bakolite. Cut a chanel in them and remove them before powder coating etc. Just cut lengthway with a hacksaw blade and prise out. Then cover the ends for powder coating. I sell the bronze bush replacements.

--- End quote ---
Thats extremely helpful and I now understand - having properly cleaned the area I can now see. So I remove the inner steel tube, cut out the old bushes, mask, paint, knock the new bushes in, put the steel tube back in, refit arm, re-fit retaining bolt, re-grease? Thanks so much! Mike

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I used the bushes that Julie sells in my 400 & 500 - they are spot on.

I put the replacement bushes in the freezer overnight then drited them in with out too much difficulty.

I don't recall any removable inner steel tube, it is shown in the parts book - I obviously left mine as it was.

mickwinf:
I never have much luck sawing the old bushes so made a simple tool. A thick washer the diameter of the hole in the swing arm but too big for Bush. File 2 flats on washer to allow it to pass through Bush then drop through to other side and drive Bush out with long drift. Easy! Also recommend bushes sold by Julie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version