SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Im a diesel idiot !!!!

(1/3) > >>

paulbaker1954:
Went to fill up with 99 juice at end of a run today, tank just on reserve and stupidly got the pumps muddled up and put about a litre of high spec diesel in.

Quickly realise my error and stopped and filled up with 99 E5

Stemmed to run fine on the 10 miles home

Guess it just got well diluted

Lesson learned 😂😂😂

Athame57:
Did it smoke a lot?  ;D  I nearly did that once but a sharp eyed attendant rescued me!

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
Personally I would consider draining out the tank and start with new petrol - diesel is not good for the piston rings.

Not sure if the diesel will seperate out when standing or if the two hydrocarbons are compleltly miscible.

marroinia:
Haha! It happened to me once when working in an australian farm. I filled up a quad bike to the pump dedicated to diesel tractors, whistling to that beautiful morning coming up. It smoked a LOT and finally stall 2 minutes later, and I learnt a LOT of new cursing and swearing in english from the local mecanic!

He drained the whole thing and cleaned everything with gasoline, the bike started as new and I went back to work fairly ashamed  ;D

taysidedragon:

--- Quote from: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 06, 2024, 06:40:21 PM ---Personally I would consider draining out the tank and start with new petrol - diesel is not good for the piston rings.

--- End quote ---

Is that true Ted, or just a feeling?
One litre in a full tank of about 18litres can't make too much difference. Not recommended,  but not disastrous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version