SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Frame/Swingarm prep for paint

<< < (2/4) > >>

Mike_Berkshire:
Thanks Bryan. I can see how to remove the other parts apart from the rear brake pivot arm; does the rear brake pivot arm just knock out? I cant see a circlip or anything holding it in but dont want to start bashing it unless Im sure. Also, once the old-style ball races are out of the steering tube, is it worthwhile replacing with a set of taper bearings/races in your opinion or would you stick with the ball races? Thanks again.

Bryanj:
If yo meanthe pivot in the frame that the pedal fits on yes it knocks out after swing arm removed.
Personally i only think tapers are worth it if you want the last ounce of performance and handling, tapers can be a pain to fit right and are a real bugger to get the outer races out again! You can get ball races where the balls are in a cage so easier to fit, i think i have seen them on motorcycle products site, yes thats the second time i have mentioned them today and no i dont get anything fo it!

mickwinf:
Personally I would remove the shock bushes and renew them. Would also replace head bearings with standard races as many have had trouble with fitment of taper rollers.

Bryanj:
Steering Head Ball Bearing Kit - 013075 on Motorccle Products pages £10.04 inc vat plus postage, check what else you need before order

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I have used the taper roller kits sold by Pyramid Parts without issue, the kit includes a decent lower seal arrangement. I did not use the top seal to avoid any issues with sufficient top threads. I'm not an engineer so made some measurements of the bottom taper roller height to ensure I put the right shim below the bearing. A simple comparison of bearing thickness/height between original plain bearing and taper replacement was straight forwards. I have a cheapish tool that can remove the bottom races without damage.

The shocker bushes can be a pig to remove depending on the level of rusting - deffo take them out before painting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version